1

Things you hold dear all your life might not be yours at all, people whom you have trusted all your life might not be the way you thought they were and all that you planned for life might not happen at all.

I have had it quite good for 15 years of my life. Good school, good friends, good parents, till it was slowly taken away from me one by one.

Hi, I am Isabella Maine, only daughter to my loving parents, Annette and Oliver Maine, co-owners and 51% shareholders of "Designs by me" renovations.

My parents were self made people. They rose from being two orphans from the orphanage who no one wanted, to someone who were sought after for their innovative renovations and designs.

My mother was the main designer and Dad knew everything about ... well everything. He used to say... "You never know which skill comes in handy Izzy, learn as you go, master as you progress"

One of their biggest assets was their capability to make beautiful spaces from nothing. They would turn spaces into the dream place for their customers. Their creations were loved so much that they nick named my mom... "The dream catcher" My parents mostly got their business from word of mouth. So majority of the time they travelled.

*

*

*

My 15th birthday...

"Good morning, Princess, happy birthday"

"mmmm..... Ma... not now please. 10 more minutes......"

"Ok, it's just that Dad wanted to show you your new....... oh well, it would have to wait I guess"

I sat up on bed...

"New what, Ma?"

"You have to find out yourself...."

"Tell me already....aaaaahhhhhh...... so mean....."

I go, clean myself and come out of the shower. I see a beautiful sundress on my Bed. It was my favourite colour.

"I LOVE YOU, MA" I yell.

"I love you too my precious, now come down Dad is waiting"

I change into my new dress, put on my sandals and accessorize with a chain, hey!!! Don't judge, I am my mother's daughter. I know how to dress. Ma has been instrumental in a major part of it.

 Ma has been instrumental in a major part of it

I run down to find out what dad has for me. Standing in front of me was my favourite ride. A Barbie themed, beautiful pink bicycle; I have always wanted it, to go to school. It has a flower basket in the front too...call me crazy, I did not want cars I wanted a cycle, so I slowly paddle across to the places I want, with the wind in my hair, no pollution, no fuel cost... If I had to travel far, I always had my parents...

"Oh My God, Dad...... thank you, thank you, thank you" I was jumping up and down

"You are welcome baby girl, happy birthday"

I hug them tight...

"I have to go show Star...." They just laughed.

Alistair Darren Beaufort AKA Star was my best friend; he was the son of Rose and Shane Beaufort, mom and dad's business partner. He had been around me since I was born; He was always protective and caring, he said it was because he was 10 years older than me.

"I would marry you someday"... I would always say... He would just laugh and give me a hug.

I missed him so much when he went to France for his studies. I had started to learn French, so I could talk to him when he was back. I wanted it to be a surprise. I was head over heels in love with him even before I knew the meaning of love.

I kissed mom and Dad and paddled hard on my new cycle towards his house.

"DON'T FORGET WE HAVE A LUNCH DATE, We will pick you up after the meeting"

"SURE MOM, I LOVE YOU"

I rushed......

"STAR" I screamed...

"Hey buttercup, Happy birthday sweetie"

"See what mom and Dad got me...."

"Oh, wow... your favourite ride..."

"Yap, now what did you get me..."

"Aaaa....."

"You forgot? I am so not talking to you"

He laughed... I loved the way he laughed..... Almost made me forget I was angry... I crossed my hands over my chest, pouted and looked away...

"Come here you little monkey...."

"I am not a Monkey, I am a cute Koala bear" I stuck my tongue out...

He laughed even harder....

"Come on, let's get your gift"

"Yay...."

He held my hands and took me to his room, there sat a box....

"what's that???"

"Your present Buttercup"

I started to rip the wrap open.... Kindle E-reader - Black, 6"

"Oh my god..... Thank you star" I jump up and kiss him on his cheeks...

"You are so welcome buttercup"

"So what are we doing?"

"I have some work buttercup... why don't you watch a movie..."

"Okay... I want to watch Tangled2"

He smiled.... "so when do your parents pick you up?"

"About at lunch time, I guess...want to join???" I was looking at him with puppy eyes....

"Pleeeeeeeease"

He laughed...pinched my cheeks like I was a toddler... "may be some other day sweetie"

"But today is my birthday, Star"... I pouted... "pretty please...."

"Okay" ... I knew he would give up.... yay to me....

I stayed with Star for the rest of the day; he worked while I was lazing around watching movies.

I don't have friends you say... oh well I do, but I love spending time with Star. I don't know but I feel safe and loved.

I had been with Star for about 2 hours. When the phone rang....

"Dad, why are you calling, where are you guys. I am hungry"

"Miss Maine, It's the Hospital, your parents have had an accident, do you have a guardian to bring you here?"

"Hospital??? Accident???" Then it was all black.