2

"....family?......."

"..............guardian......"

I blinked, I was on Star's lap, with my head on his shoulder and He had his hands wrapped round me tight.

I could hear voices.....the accident..... "MOM...DAD", I almost fell out of Star's lap....

"My parents, Where are they, are the really hurt, can I see them? Please"

"Do you have any other family member, sweetie?" The doctor asked

"No, my parents were orphans, I am all they have, what is wrong doctor?" I felt Star's grip tighten...

"Please Doctor, where are my parents?"

"Well......."

"Tell us doctor, I am responsible for her....You can think of me as her Guardian" Star said...

"Well Mr Beaufort.... her parents were brought in very critical condition. Both were severely injured. Unfortunately, her Father did not make it and her mother does not have too much time"

I would have fallen down, if Star would not have been holding me.

"Doctor, the mother is awake, her mother wants to talk to her...." said the nurse who just rushed in.

I just ran across the hall, to the room where they had kept mom...

"Ma........."

"Oh My Precious little baby, we are so sorry...."

"Shushhhh.... Ma, you are fine ok? You are going to be fine... please don't talk...."

My mother was all bandaged, pale and looked in so much pain, I closed my eyes, not wanting to see her that way...I could hear her heart monitor beeping.....

"Baby, listen to me ok....Your Dad and I love you baby, we always have and always will... be strong... you are a big girl now ok... promise me you won't give up, no matter what happens..."

"I promise Ma... But please don't leave, Ma please....."

"Its ok baby, at least I got to see you one last time. Alistair, please take care of our baby......"

"We love you our precious...." was just a whisper.....

"I love you too ma.....".......

"................................."

".................................."

"Ma........Ma............. MA please... please.... no......"

Alistair held me tight...... It all turned black again.....

*

*

*

Alistair took care of everything for the funeral. He would just hold me till the time I just fell asleep. I was just numb, I did not want to talk, or do anything. I would just cry and hold on to Star like the life saving straw, to keep me from drowning.

After the funeral, the lawyer had come to meet me. To read out my parent's will. I had held on to Star for dear life. I did not know what to do.

They had transferred their entire share of stocks to me; there was no mention of custody or fostering. They never thought they would go away so soon.

"Miss Maine, because you are still not 16, we have to transfer you to a state foster home...."

"NO...." It was Star, who spoke up, I was too much in a daze to speak up....I just looked at him....

"No, she does not go to a foster home, she will live with us....Please do the necessary formalities..."

"Mr Beaufort, you do understand it's a big....."

"Randy, do I really look like I care, Isabella stays with us, that's final. You are a god damn lawyer; get the papers ready....she stays...."

"Come on Baby" He just collected me in his arms and went to the bedroom.

He slowly deposited me on the bed and sat next to me... running his fingers thru my hair...

"It's ok baby... I got you...." I signed and closed my eyes... I at least have My Star...I slept...

I miss you Mom, Dad. Why did you have to leave.....?

*

*

*

I went back to school only because I knew Mom and dad would feel bad that I gave up studying because they were not there. I did not want to go. Teachers and friends tried hard but they were sympathetic. I hated pity in their eyes.

My only solace...My star... I would go home, finish my home work, clean the house and cook. I had started to learn how to cook. I did not want Star to think I was a burden.

He always said I did not need to, but I insisted.

Soon it would be my 16th birthday; Alistair would not need to foster me anymore. I would have to be independent. Would he ask me to leave? I was so scared.

We were having lunch with Mr and Mrs Beaufort. Aunt Rose, never quite approved the idea of Alistair taking care of me after my parents passed away. She was against the idea of a 25 years old taking care of a 15yrs old. She wanted a different life for Alistair. I agree too, but just the thought of not having him in my life scared the wits out of me.

"So now that Izzy is going to be 16 soon, we should start thinking of sending her to college" she started

"She can complete college here, Mother" Alistair threw back...

"How long are you going to keep her, she is not a kid anymore Al and you need to get married, she would get married too someday you know"

"Till the time she does, she stays"

"No, she goes"....

"Get engaged to her Al...." suddenly Mr Beaufort said

I almost choked on my food..... "What?" I coughed.... Alistair was coughing too; I guess we both choked on our food at the same time.......

"It's just an engagement, that way she stays with you as long as you want or till the time she is ready to leave... when you decide otherwise you can always call off the engagement"

"But it's not legal Dad"

"Marriage is not.... engagement is another thing all together"

My eyes were wide. I was stunned to silence. I would be engaged to my Star and I was only 16.

Alistair just stared blankly towards his dad, his mother was furious but she knew going against Mr Beaufort is not something she would risk.

"So it's final then Al, You get engaged to Izzy, next week"

Alistair nodded; I was just stupefied...