6

(Isabella)

The kitchen is abuzz with life.

"Cooks, we have 50 reservations today, the city mayor is walking in with a guest. Make sure foods are at par" shouted Chef Adam

"Yes chef"

Prep time was crucial, everything needed to be precise so that when times come for the pass, you have everything handy, so cutting, chopping, filleting, slicing, dicing, marinating everything has to be as per the recipe and menu

"Isabella?"

"Yes chef"

"Your pasta dish has been chosen for the dinner tonight"

My eyes grew wide as saucers

"Thank you chef"

"Start prepping, we don't have time... chop...chop" he said clapping his hands

"Yes Chef" I grinned and started to pick up the ingredients for my recipe

I did not have time to panic. I had to prepare for 50 guests with 10 extra dishes.

It was a recipe I made for Star. I put everything he liked to make a dish for his birthday.

I had given the pasta the name of "Bella-al Ditalini" it was the smallest of pasta, with chicken, green and yellow zucchini and mushroom duxelle all in a béchamel sauce and a hint of Jalapeños. I added grated parmesan on top and a few basil leaves for colour and freshness.

It was a fulfilling meal, creamy, meaty, crunchy and fresh. To wash it down a beautiful glass of The Wishing Tree, Un-oaked Chardonnay, Australia, 2011, its tangy acidity is versatile enough to handle both hearty mushrooms and rich sauces.

I smiled; I was over the top. I got to work immediately

"Michel?" I heard Chef shout to a fellow cook

"Yes chef"

"Your desert has been approved"

"Thank you chef"

"Get on with it then"

"Yes chef"

"Je veux un effort supplémentaire de vous tous, bonne chance Isabella et Michel, faites-moi fier"

"Oui chef"

We clambered to get things done.

"All the best; Peanut" Chef Adam whispered, putting his hand over my head like an elder brother.

"Merci beaucoup chef" I grinned

Dinner service started at 8 sharp. The mayor and his guest walked in at about nine and Chef Luke went out to greet them personally.

He came in with the orders himself.

By the time the entire dinner finished, we were exhausted.

Chef turned around and gave us all a round of applause

"Bien fait tout le monde, Guest today have been very happy with the food"

We all clapped

"Izzy?"

"Yes chef"

"Your pasta dish was very well received today, so we have decided to make it permanent in the menu, I want you to hand over the recipe to Chef Adam, so he can teach the other cooks..."

"Yes Chef"... I had the biggest smile... not only was my dish approved, it was going to be permanent in the restaurant. When a dish is approved and liked by the guests, the recipe does not remain a personal recipe, it becomes the restaurants because it was invented being at the restaurant.

I was more than happy to give it to Chef Adam.

"This was just a trial run, we have an event coming up. The mayor has loved the food so he is also coming and has invited a few of his entourage on Friday for our 5th anniversary celebration"

Then it was a few things about how we could improve, a few tips a few hand holding.... we were done for the night.