Chapter 18 Midnight Call!

Marinette, along with her aunt and uncle  go out for a night of  fun!  They go eat pizza at a local restaurant.  After this they all go to a baseball game!  Marinette cheers on the South Carolina team!  She hopes they win against the guest team from  Austin, Texas!  Her aunt and uncle cheers for the local team as well!  The three of them enjoy some slushies for dessert!  At some point, the team ties with the other team!

      The three of them, laugh as they watch the faces of the teams.  Now, that the teams know an extra inning must be played to break the tie, they all look worn out.  The first team gets up to bat!  The batter swings, but misses the ball. He does this two more times and strikes out!  The same thing happens again with the next batter and all the others after this. The team strikes out!  Next, the other team goes up to the bat!  The first batter strikes out !  The second one follows this same course.  The third one hits the ball into the outfield. He makes it to the first plate, and second just fine.  He runs to third, but his tagged out before he can make it to the home plate.  The crowd cheers on from the stands!    The fourth batter hits the ball and manages to cross all three plates without a problem !  He slides across the home plate before someone can tag him!  The game is over!   

    The visitors team has won the game!  Fireworks are still launched after the game in celebration of great sportsmanship, hard work, and so on!  The crowd, sits back down to enjoy this.  When all this is over, it is ten thirty at night. 

     Marinette, Uncle Bob and Aunt Kara head back in silence. They are all worn out from the ball game. Once back at the house, they all head inside after Marinette puts the car in park.  Uncle Bob and Aunt Kara head to bed. Marinette goes to the upstairs guest bathroom, and gets ready for bed.  Her head hits the pillow right at 11:15 pm.  She is unable to sleep. She feels disappoint.  She sighs.  She still attempts to sleep despite the fact  Adrien forgot to call her!  She finally dozes off at 11:45 pm.   She is only asleep for fifteen minutes, before she wakes up to the sound of her cell phone ringing.  She looks at it and sees the number is the same one as before!  All worn out, yet happy, she yawns as she answers the midnight call!

   "Hello?"  Marinette says rather sleepily.

  "Hey, Mari!"  Adrien says rather cheerfully from his end of the phone.

  "You know you woke up right?  It is midnight now!"  Marinette says.

  "Oh, I am sorry!"  Adrien says.

  "It is okay, I was not asleep for long anyway."  Marinette says.

 "So, how was your day?"  Adrien ask.

 "It was great!  I got to go out for dinner, then my Aunt and Uncle, and I all went to a baseball game !  The team lost, but the fireworks afterwards were so pretty!  Then, we all came home!" Marinette says.

  "I did not wake up your relatives, did I?"  Adrien says.

"No, they are asleep downstairs.  I am in the upstairs guest room."  Marinette says.

  "Oh, that is a relief!"  Adrien says.

    "Haha, Adrien !  Very funny!"  Marinette says.

   "It is good to hear you laugh!  It sounds nice."  Adrien says.

    "Adrien, I..."  Marinette says into the phone. 

   "I miss you!"  Adrien says.

   "I miss you too!"  Marinette says.

    "Mari, I am miserable without you!"  Adrien says.  

    "I highly doubt that!"  Marinette says.

    "I am.  Honest, how can I have fun without my best friend here?"  Adrien says.

    " What?   Your best friend?"  Marinette says.

    "Yes, silly!  Mari, you are my best friend!"  Adrien says.

   "Wow, I never knew you saw me like this!"  Marinette says.

    "I do!"  Adrien says.

    "Adrien, why did you not call me earlier?"  Marinette ask.

   "Ouch, you wound me, beautiful bluenette!  Besides, I had a surfers competition earlier and afterwards my father gave me this long speech about he does not approve of my taste in women."  Adrien says.

   "Oh, poor cinnamon roll!"  Marinette says.

   "Cinnamon roll?"  Adrien says as he raises one eyebrow, while he talks to her over the phone.

   "Yes, that is my nickname for you!"  Marinette says.

    "Well, in that case, I shall cherish it always!"  Adrien says.

    "Stop it!  You make me blush!"  Marinette says.

    "Good, I bet you are even more lovely with your face all red as a lobster!"  Adrien teases her over the phone.

    "Oh, yeah!  You take that back, Agreste!"  Marinette says.

     "No way!  I mean it."  Adrien says.

     " What will I ever do with you?"  Marinette says.

    "Hmm, I do not know."  Adrien says.

    "You are such a silly boy, my cinnamon roll!"  Marinette says.  Her voice full of laughter and love.

      "Why thank you!  I try my best, Mari!"  Adrien says.  He can feel himself blush and is glad she can not see his face.  He thinks, what would she say if she knew how much I love her?

      "Mari, Luka says he will take you to the movies when you get back!  You will not let him, will you?"  Adrien says.

      "I do not know.  You will have to wait and see when I return, cinnamon roll!"  Marinette says in a teasing manner.

      " Mari, why did you kiss me in the gazebo?"  Adrien says.

     "D-do we have to t-talk about that n-now?"  Marinette says.

     "Yes!"  Adrien says.

    "I don't know.  It rained, I was bored and I uh...umm...I...I..."  Marinette says.

     "Oh, so I am only someone you kiss when you are bored, huh?"  Adrien teases her.

     "Cinnamon roll, please do not talk about the kiss like this!"  Marinette says. She already feels her eyes fill with tears at the memory.

      "Why not?  Look, I was happy when you kissed me!  I would not mind if you did it again!"  Adrien says.

     "Cinnamon roll, how cruel of you to tease me so!"  Marinette says.

     "Come on, Mari!  I was only kidding!"  Adrien says.  He thinks, I was not, but I there is no way I will tell her this.

     "Oh, okay."  Marinettte says. She thinks, so he does not want me to kiss him then?  

     "Good night, Adrien!"  Marinette says.

     "Good night, my Mari!  My lovely bluenette!"  Adrien says.

      Marinette waits until she hears the click sound in her ear.  As he hangs up, she sighs. She thinks, why did I  make a big deal about his question?  For that matter, why did he even bring up the kiss?

      Marinette goes back to bed. She goes back to sleep with the entire midnight call conversation on her mind. 

     Meanwhile, Adrien Agreste smiles.  He thinks, she sure seems flustered now that I brought up the kiss.  Why?  Does she regret it was me she kissed?  Is that it?  Is there someone else that is not me, or Luka, she loves?   He sighs as he goes to lay down.  He is not sure what to do if it turns out the woman he loves does not love him back.

     to be continued in Chapter  19  Adrien is Hurt?