Chapter 27 Together, But Awkward?

It had been an entire week since Adrien had told Marinette he loved her not once, but twice! Things were still rather strange between them though. So strange in fact, that even Luka and Lila notice the sudden weirdness in the atmosphere when it comes to the life guard girl and the surfer boy!

Adrien could not help, but notice Marinette seems a bit more hesitate when it comes to the kisses lately! Does this mean she regrets ever getting back together, or what? He is not sure what to think as her behavior changes towards him, so much. One things for sure she is one confusing person! He begins to think, maybe they should just break up and only remain friends.

Marinette is happy to see Adrien, but notices he seems less affectionate than normal. Sure he still kisses her on the cheek on occasion, but other than this he seems so distant. She can help, but wonder what this means? She feels as if maybe it is her own fault their relationship is so off lately. She did refuse to answer his love for him. It is not like she meant to be so awkward. It is just she is not sure how to tell him how she feels. Could it be that maybe she has it all wrong? That she only sees him as a great guy, but does not have any further feelings beyond this? She is not sure what to make out of the whole thing.

Adrien decides he must speak to Marinette after she gets off work. He feels as if maybe he could come to some solution as to what works best for them both. He rather remain her friend and be hurt to see her with someone else if that what makes her happy than to be so odd around him all the time. He is not sure what exactly to make of the situation just yet.

Time skip brought to you by Tikki's Best Cookies!

Later, that day, Marinette is off for the day as is Luka ! Luka suggest that she, and Adrien, along with Lila and him go on a double date. Marinette turns down the offer, as things are on the fence as is when it comes to her and Adrien without any third parties getting involved. She walks away and sees herself face to face with Adrien.

"Marinette, is it me?" Adrien ask.

"What do you mean?" Marinette says.

"Come on you half to admit things have been well awkward ever since we got back together, and even more so since I confessed to you." Adrien says.

"I do not know what you mean." Marinette says.

"Come on, I think you do!" Adrien says.

"What do you want from me, Adrien?" Marinette says.

"I want some answers. Why are you like this? " Adrien says.

"Like what?" Marinette ask.

"You know very well what I mean! You hardly ever let me kiss you anymore. I thought you liked the attention!" Adrien says.

"I am sorry, but if you want more affection than you have the wrong girl!" Marinette blurts out.

"Mari, I do not want some other girl!" Adrien says.

"Then, what do you want?" Marinette says.

Adrien sighs with his hands inside his pockets. He looks at her and thinks, what happened to us? We used to be so good together, but now look at us?

"I -I care about you and if you do not wish to be with me, just say the word." Adrien says.

Marinette looks at him. She says nothing. She can not.

Adrien looks at her and takes her in his arms. He thinks, please! If you wish to be apart just tell me, do not spare my feelings on my account.

"Adrien, you are not breaking up with me are you?" Marinette says. She looks away. She wiggles out of his grasp.

Marinette looks back at him and sees the defeat in his face. She takes off the necklace he gave her on one of their many dates and places it in his hand. She does not say another word. She just walks away and goes back inside her place.

Adrien looks at the necklace. He nods his head and thinks, so this is it. He sits down in the sand and sobs. Sobs for the fact she could not give him the love he longs for, the break up and the awkward sense of loss. He goes home, puts the necklace in a drawer and just sits there in shock.

to be continued in Chapter 28 Adrien's New Girl?