Let Her Go (Levi)

~Well you only need the light when it's burning low~

Levi sits at his desk after receiving his cup of steaming tea. On his desk, is surprisingly no paperwork (for once). The corporal takes a sip of his drink, and gazes out his office window.

~Only miss the sun when it starts to snow~

White flakes flutter down from above. They fall onto the ground and start to rise. He watches with a blank stare as this boring scene plays before him. But even as the snow falls, his mind flashes back to someone.

~Only know you love her when you let her go~

"Levi!"

~Only know you've been high when you're feeling low~

His eyes flicker to his desk again. Where a worn-out photo sits on the corner. On it, is a picture of him, and a younger girl.

He was bit skinnier back then due to the lack of food he had while growing up. But the girl, despite looking skinny like him, still managed a genuine smile.

~Only hate the road when you're missing home~

He wonders what she's doing now. Or if she's alive, even.

~Only know you love her when you let her go~

His sister understood why he had to leave.

She just didn't want him to leave.

(Name) stood by the doorway, shyly hiding herself from the soldiers. Her innocent eyes stared up at him and their friends.

"Do you have to go?"

Isabel knelt down and gave her a reassuring smile, "Aw, don't worry, (Name)! We'll be back before you know it!"

"We'll try getting back as soon as we can," Farlan promised.

But even though Levi's friends were reassuring her, he could tell she wasn't convinced. He sighed and pushed Isabel aside to look down at his sister.

"Look. There's almost no chance we're coming back."

Both his friends and the soldiers shot their heads toward him with surprise. Levi ignored them. He placed a hand on her shoulder and lowered himself to her level. His cold grey eyes stared into hers.

"Life is probably going to be an asshole from here on out, okay?" she nodded, "I don't want you to give up. And I don't care how you do it. Whether you have to join one of the gangs here or steal shit, you survive. Do you understand?"

She nodded again, "Then I can see you again?"

~And you let her go~

His heart sunk at her innocent question.

He shook his head.

"No, you can't."

~Staring at the bottom of your glass~

He doesn't notice it until he realizes how thirsty he is. But he has finished his tea. The corporal also notices that it is now harder to see the snowfall.

He supposes that it's time for bed.

~Hoping one day you'll make a dream last~

Before bed, he takes a little more than a couple drinks of his hidden alcohol.

Besides, the drunker he is, the harder he'll sleep.

That's his philosophy.

~But dreams come slow and they go so fast~