Chapter 1 - Joy's New/Old Home

Joy woke up suddenly in a cold sweat. Her eyes were gazing outside of the window that was on the right side of her bed. She tried to control her breathing but she had some trouble with it.

It's still dark outside. I mean, not too dark, but dark... Is it morning? How long have I been asleep? She pondered as she got out of her bed to look at her phone.

It's 5AM. Well... I got a better sleep tonight than in the last couple of days, sooo... that's something - she thought to herself.

Joy was back on Jeju island. She returned there from Seoul to live with her parents for a while after she had a little incident in Seoul. "Little incident" hah... I nearly went to jail. I REALLY need to put the past behind me, but... It's all just... so fresh in my mind - all of the things that I've done... And I need to talk to my parents about this. I've been here at their place for 9 days now and we still haven't discussed why I returned. I mean... I am thankful that they are so understanding but... They need to know the truth... Or as much as I can remember of it...

Joy got out of her room and went to the living room, which was right next to her bedroom, to sit on her couch and to watch some TV. She knew her parents would get up in a couple of hours. She wanted to give them space so they could eat before the three of them would talk. It was a Sunday so her parents had the day off from work.

Well yeah, at least that gives me the day to have a proper introduction to the whole thing. The whole situation. The whole event and everything that I did before I came here. Ugh... I feel so drained... Okay... Now... I have to stop feeling sorry for myself and watch some TV. Relax my mind. I've been through a lot. I need to relax.

Joy was now watching some morning cartoons while eating cereal. She decided she didn't want to think too much and she just wanted to relax her mind for a bit. The last 9 days have been a sobering experience for her where she was mostly trapped in her mind, constantly thinking about how she made so many mistakes before coming to her parents' home.

"Good morning" Joy's father appeared in the living room, greeting Joy with a faint smile.

"Good morning" She greeted him back while still eating her cereal. She gave him a faint smile back.

"Do you want some coffee?" He asked politely.

"No, thank you" she replied, this time with a bigger smile than before. She then added politely: "Do you want me to make you coffee?"

"No need, heh, I like to do it myself... Did you get a good sleep?" He asked, still smiling at his daughter.

"I..." Joy thought for a second. "I actually did, yeah" she smiled at her father once more upon realizing she really did get some sleep. Yeah... And it was the longest sleep that I got since I came here, good for me!

"That's great! Okay... I'm gonna go make some coffee." He then sauntered from the living room into the kitchen, still smiling, happy that Joy actually got some sleep. Joy appreciated her father's reaction.

Well, he seems to be in a great mood as always... Sleepy, but great. Joy continued to watch the morning cartoons while slowly eating her cereal.

Pretty soon both of her parents were in the living room, drinking coffee and eating their breakfast along with Joy. They all watched some TV before she decided to turn it off. She looked at both of her parents and started to talk:

"So... I've been meaning to talk to you..."

"Okay..." Joy's mom spoke first in a concerned tone of voice. "Is everything okay?" She didn't want to pressure Joy to say anything but she was definitely worried.

"Yeah... I mean... Not actually... But that's kind of the point... I want to talk to you about what happened."

"Okay" Joy's dad nodded his head in agreement, and Joy's mom followed, trying to calm herself down. But she wasn't very successful at doing so, so she asked:

"Is everyone healthy and okay? Are your friends okay? Did anyone get hurt?" Joy's mother interrupted Joy but felt bad for doing it.

"It's a long story. But I will tell you everything you need to know, don't worry." Joy spoke in a reassuring tone of voice while trying to calm her mother down, and Joy's mother appreciated that. Joy then added: "And about the "being healthy" thing... Yeah... It's... It's an interesting story... Or at least the things that I remember and that I will mention." Joy faintly smiled at her parents.

"Oh... Okay, talk away then" her parents both nodded in agreement once again.

Joy knew what she had to do - this was her time to tell her story about what happened in the past 9 months. She knew she had to talk about all the new people she had met. She knew she had to talk about Yeri.

Oh wow... Now that I think about it... Where do I begin? Joy pondered.