Chapter 32 - The Ending Joy Needed

There she was. Passing by the main bus terminal and heading towards the music company. She was looking at all the buses that were parked outside while still thinking about all the information she just received from Chaewon. She couldn't believe it and she was very distracted. She was looking at all the buses in front of her while walking past them and she was just looking at the names of places where they were supposed to be driving to.

Gwacheon... That's where the correctional institutions and youth detention centers are... That's where I could've ended up had it not been for Yeri... Joy had another lump in her throat. I hope she's alri-

And just when Joy thought her day couldn't get any more wild, that's when the impossilbe happened - she saw Yeri sitting in that same bus.

No... No... this can't- Joy's mind went blank. She stood there petrified on the side of the bus, standing several feet away while staring at Yeri who was sitting expresionless and facing forward. Her long hair was in a high ponytail and under a cap.

Joy was stunned, her heart was beating fast.

Suddenly, Yeri randomly turned her head around and faced Joy. She recognized her immediately and raised her eyebrows in surprise.

Joy stood there, her mouth wide opened.

Yeri chuckled at the sight and mimicked Joy's facial expression and then urged her to close her mouth. Joy furrowed her eyebrows, she felt like Yeri was making fun of her, and Yeri just grinned.

Joy, not wanting to waste time, then grabbed her phone and aimed to call Yeri, but Yeri mouthed "no phone on me" and pointed to herself while shaking her head no, which Joy understood.

Joy then gesticulated if she could talk to Yeri on the bus or if Yeri could come off the bus to talk. She didn't know what she would say to Yeri, but she was in such a panic that she just didn't think about her actions. In any case, Yeri declined to talk, pointing to a person in charge of the bus and gesticulating that she couldn't get out because of them. Joy understood once again and nodded.

Yeri just smiled. It wasn't a happy smile or a mischievous smile. It was a smile that Joy understood as "It's nice seeing you again, but this is it. This is where I am now". Joy gave a soft smile as well and they just looked at each other. The bus's engine started, signaling that they were about to go, but it still stood in place for a couple of moments.

Yeri quickly made the window in front of her foggy with her breath and started to write with her finger on it.

Joy was keeping a close eye on the message. It read:

"Let's go for a joyri"

And just as Yeri was about to finish her message, the bus took off. She gave Joy another smile, this time even bigger than before, as if she wanted to say "Goodbye, it was nice knowing you, maybe we will see each other someday". That's at least the way Joy had interpreted it.

Joy then stood there, puzzled. Silence in her head. Everything happened so fast. She was starting to think about what just had happened. She thought about the message Yeri was trying to write and was confused for a moment.

But then she remembered all the times she and Yeri went out and understood what Yeri wanted to say.

"Joyride" Joy silently whispered. She then grinned from ear to ear. Let's go for a joyride... Okay, I get it!

What a dork! Joy then chuckled. Also, "joyri", that unfinished word from the message, that could've been a cute couple's name for us... heh... oh well... Joy smiled and then thought some more:

But... Just.... Wow...Who would've thought that this would happen...? Well... At least I know she's alive... So... Yeah... I know that seeing her now is hard, but... I need to move on from her... It'll be a long journey for me to do that, but it needs to be done now that I know... Now that I know that she's okay, she's not dying, she's not dead... So yeah... I need to end this story slowly but surely... End this chapter of my life...  This needs to be the ending that I, well, need... Heh... I need to focus on myself now, just like I planned. This is your time Joy, use it wisely.... Okay, speaking of time, let's see- OH SHIT, I'LL BE LATE!

And with that, Joy walked a bit faster towards the company building. She had a huge smile on her face, knowing now that Yeri was okay. She knew she had a long way before completely getting over her, but for now, this was a victory and she needed to re-focus on herself again.

I wonder what Wendy would think about all of this. - was the thought that popped into her head at that moment.

She and Wendy haven't heard from each other in a while now and Joy's last message was actually about how she found the courage to apply to be a trainee and how she was contacted to audition to be in this company. Wendy hasn't replied so far, but Joy knew she would eventually. She just had to wait since Wendy's schedule can be hectic and she just wanted to be patient for her friend.

She'll reply, don't worry Joy... And then both of you can talk about your lives as trainees in companies... Maybe you'll even meet someday at an event, who knows? But, let's concentrate Joy, this is your day! You can do this! Joy hyped herself up.

She stood in front of the building and looked inside. She walked in slowly, mouth agape, eyes wide.

People rushing everywhere, a lot of noise, a lot of people bumping into each other, apologizing, and then rushing forward. It was apparently a busy day there. 

Joy was looking around and not in front of herself, she was completely bewildered by the situation.

She heard a lot of people talking around her and she was getting slowly into the crowd while walking forward to the reception desk.

Two people from her left were walking in Joy's general direction but Joy didn't notice them and the people didn't notice her since it was slowly getting more and more crowded.

Joy didn't hear what the two people were talking between themselves since she was just soaking in all of her suroundings.

One person spoke to the other as they were walking fast and past other people: "Listen, I haven't had any complaints so far because there was nothing to complain about, but this is unprofessional, I-" and then that person and Joy, who was just walking slowly, bumped into each other. 

They both fell to the ground.

The fall wasn't too hard on their bodies, but it was worth an "ouch" from both parties.

Joy collected herself as she stood up while she tried to help the other person to get up as well. The third person helped too.

"I'm so sor-" Joy started to apologize and then finally looked at the person that bumped into her as that person removed their long hair from their face.

"I...I... Irene?" Bae Joo-Hyun, the famous dancer that Joy followed online, also known popularly as Irene, was standing in front of her.

Joy gulped.