Chapter 30 - Joy's Exciting News

During the following days, Joy started to write in her journal. She then thought about writing a short story or a poem. She wrote a couple of sentences and then threw what she wrote in the trash. 

She also started to run to get more exercise and because she thought it would be a great hobby. And while the exercise was a good thing for her, she wasn't feeling fulfilled.

She tried to spice things up at work by taking on more tasks and by generally being even more productive than she already was, but that didn't fulfill her either.

Every day would basically be the same except for these extra activities that she would give to herself.

And then one day she came back home in the evening after an afternoon shift. Her mother left her a cooked meal on the table that was meant to be her dinner and Joy was more than happy to see it.

She also left her a little note that said: Went out with your father, we will get home later, enjoy the meal! :)

Joy smiled at the note as she turned on the TV and started to eat.

Without thinking, she put some music on, specifically a live show where various artists would perform.

Oh... Is that...? No, it can't be!

Joy's smile appeared suddenly on her face because the show was about to feature Sunmi.

And Joy's smile grew bigger when she realized that the song she was about to perform was Gashina.

Without even thinking, without even trying to eat her food, Joy stood up from her seat, tired and hungry, as she started to dance and sing to the song that was playing on her TV. It was like her body and mind were possessed by the music.

Joy was loud, moving her hands and body all over the living room, not caring about anything or anyone. The whole performance she was giving felt like a catharsis. It felt like she was finally doing something that she loved, just singing a song and dancing to it.

Joy knew she wasn't the greatest dancer in the world, but she gave it her all during this small performance. She also focused all her energy on singing and just gave herself to the music.

She felt alive.

After the song was over, Joy was standing on top of her couch, tired and panting.  She realized something as she was standing there. This was it.

She was looking at the screen with her eyes wide open and just spoke to herself:

"Fuck it... I might as well try to live my life!"

And with that in mind, Joy started to plan her video that she was going to send to the music companies. Joy had decided - she was going to give music a shot!

And she didn't even think about it too much - she just felt that that was the right move for her at this moment in time.

Joy then found one of her father's records that meant a lot to her as she was growing up - it was Cho Yong Pil's and it featured the song I wish it could be that way now.

Joy thought about all the times she listened to that song with her parents while she was growing up. It was tempting for her to find a contemporary song that she could sing and send to the companies, but she felt like it should mean something... She felt like she should do things her own way and stand out. And that is why she chose this song to sing as she filmed herself in her living room. No accompaniment, just Joy and her voice.

After she was done singing and recording, she looked at the recording and chuckled. Only one way to find out if this is the thing that has been bothering me for the last couple of weeks.

She sent the video that night and went to sleep soon afterwards.

Joy slept without any problems that night. She didn't wake up once from a bad dream. She didn't have a bad dream!

And in the morning, she felt alive again - like she had accomplished something great. Like something great was waiting for her.

She didn't tell her parents right away because she didn't want them to get their hopes up and then see them feel bad if Joy didn't get called for the auditions. 

She just went back to the soup kitchen and worked hard, but this time there was more pep in her step. She was smiling the entire day every day. Her parents were noticing it too and they were glad to see their child happy again even though they did not know why it happened.

Days would pass and Joy wasn't getting any reply. She felt defeated. Ugh... Maybe I should've went with a different song... No, that's no way to think about this... I need to stay positive! I need to believe in myself and give myself a break... Just be patient, Joy, things will come your way... Yeah! She thought to herself during those times.

And then finally, through actual physical mail, the Park family received an envelope.

"What is this...? Joy, this one's for you!" Joy's mother called out as she was getting into the house.

"What is?"

"This envelope, it's addressed to Park Soo Young, and you're the only one here with that name" her mother teased as she handed it to her daughter. Joy just chuckled.

Her eyes widened once she had realized from whom the envelope was.

"Is everything okay?" her mother asked.

"Yes, yes!" she excitedly replied. "I... just... let me see what they wrote!" and with that Joy aggressively tore the envelope and opened a letter she received.

"Dear Park Soo Young...." she started to read but then continued to read the rest in silence.

As she was reading further, she would highlight a word or two and her body was starting to shake.

She screamed happily and hugged her mother right there and then. Her mother hugged back confused.

Joy then explained:

"Mom.... I got in!" 

"You got in where?" her mother replied confused, but with a smile on her face.

Joy then proceeded to excitedly explain what had happened and what the end-result was. She was admitted to become a trainee in one of the companies where she had sent her video. Joy was over the moon and so was her mother for her.

"We need to celebrate!" was the only thing heard that day in their house.

And celebrated they did.

I can't wait to start my life all over! And I can't wait to tell Wendy about this! Joy thought at the end of that day.