Chapter 4 - Joy Encountering Parts of Her Past

After Joy finished her meal, she cleaned the table with her mother and washed the dishes. There was a comfortable silence in the house and they were both enjoying it.

"I'm going to the store right now, do you need anything from it?"

"Nah, I'll be good" Joy replied with a smile.

"Okay heh, call me if you've changed your mind" her mother replied as she went to grab her jacket.

"I will!" Joy replied, washing the plate in her hands. "I will" she repeated slowly while putting the plate back in its place.

Call me if you've changed your mind... I know it's bad when now even simple lines like that remind me of the events that happened.

Joy sighed as she sat on the floor in the middle of her kitchen. She was staring blankly at the wall in front of her as she felt tears building up in her eyes.

"So you do your best, and you flood the sink... Sit down in the kitchen and cry..." was a song lyric that came to mind to Joy as she softly sang it.

Her voice was shaking as a tear started to roll down her cheek. She held her head in her hands and started to gently sob.

After a while she decided to get up, drink a glass of water to calm herself down and wipe her tears

Well... At least she had a good taste in music... That counts for something heh... She tried to reason with herself.

Joy then went to her bedroom to watch a movie. She set up her bed and her laptop in the right position and started watching. Very soon, Joy drifted into her sleep unknowingly, exhausted from the day she was having. She was fighting the sleep at first, telling herself that she needs to get a regular and balanced sleeping pattern, but her body just wasn't having it and so she drifted off into her slumber.

Okay, just a quick nap, but when I wake up, I wanna talk to my parents further.

Joy woke up and it was 1AM in the morning. No, not again - she groaned internally.

I have to get into a better sleeping rhythm, this is not healthy. I slept for 11 hours, sure, but I can't be waking up at 1AM and then collapse of tiredness in the middle of the day, that's not how a functioning person should work...

Joy got out of her bed and went to the fridge to get some food. Well, at least this never disappoints - she smiled as she started to eat her pudding.

She turned on the TV to watch something that would tire her out but nothing worked.

I have to get out of this house. I need to go for a walk. I need to properly tire myself out.

Joy then headed out of the house to take a walk around her neighborhood. During her walk she would look at the night sky and think about how time is passing by. She didn't want to think about the past though. The walk went further and she continued until she reached an abandoned house.

Whoa... I'm a bit away from my home now, aren't I? I haven't been in this part of town in years. This house was always abandoned though, wasn't it? Heh, maybe I should get inside and stea- WHOA JOY! HOLD UP! NOT THIS AGAIN!

Joy shuddered as she thought about Seoul at that moment and her memories came back. Nope... No stealing. Calm down. You're okay.... You're okay... Calm down... Breathe....

Joy then stopped thinking for a while as she looked at the house. Her mind started talking with her once again soon:

You know, I guess I could actually try and go inside. Yeah, it's an abandoned house, no one seems to be around.... I'm curious how it looks on the inside, especially at night... Why not? What would be the harm in doing only that? Yeah... There's no harm there!

Joy then cleared her mind as she walked over to the abandoned house. The pathway of the yard was grassy and unkempt but Joy didn't mind. Heh.... I remember that one time Yeri and I- nope! No thinking about her!

There was no door in the doorway so Joy had no problem entering the house. Everything looked old, dusty and broken. Well, I couldn't steal anything worthwhile here anyway.... Not that that's the point! But it's a quaint home. A nice one. I could imagine the living room being here... With the TV, kids playing around and having a wonderful time. The parents would be in this dining room there, setting up the table and preparing the meal... I guess the bedrooms for all of them would be upstairs.... Heh... It's a nice home... If ever renovated, which I don't think it will be, since, well, it's been here like this for all my life, but IF ever renovated... This would be a nice home... Heh.... Home...

Joy roamed around the house, looking at every room and thinking about how she would arrange the whole place. She thought about a whole situation where she sat by the fireplace while reading a book. She imagined she enjoyed reading that book while light music was playing in the background and her partner would be in that room, sitting close by and doing something else.

Why did I just imagine Yeri as my partner being there? She would... She would despise such a scene.... She was never the family type anyway.... I hate my mind sometimes....

Joy then loudly sighed. She suddenly heard a noise at the other end of the room she was standing in but she didn't panic. She stood there silently and analyzed the situation quietly.

It's nighttime, I saw no one enter, I heard no one enter, meaning someone was already here.... Or, it could be the wind... No reason for alarm in either case Joy, calm down. You've got this... Whatever the situation is, you've got this!

She then remembered how she became so calm in these situations. Yeri taught me well, didn't she?... Ugh... Again Joy... Why did you think of her?

Joy soon realized that the noise came from a stray cat that entered the room she was in at that point.

Yup, just as I suspected, nothing to worry about. She smiled.

She then leaned down to pet the cat that approached her. Aren't you a cute cat? She thought to herself.

The cat soon fled, and after a while, Joy examined the whole house and decided she wanted to go home.

I'm tired, enough is enough. This was a nice trip outside of my house but.... Yeah... I need to go home.

She got out and went home.

I'm tired... And I need to stop thinking about Yeri. And all the things that happened in Seoul. And I need to stop associating everything with her....

Soon she was at home, and just as she was about to go to sleep, Joy started to think about Seoul again. She couldn't help her mind, no matter how hard she tried at that point.

It was such a difficult time period.... But I still have to tell more to my parents, don't I?

Around 5AM was the time that Joy finally went to sleep, exhausted from all the self-examination.

Tomorrow... Or today, when I wake up, I will tell them more.... She thought as she finally entered her sleep.