Chapter 18. The 9 o'clock Swap

TO ALL STUDENTS,

For this year's Halloween celebration, we will be opening building 8C and turn it into a haunted house. All repairs with regards to safety and suitability for this have been done.

No classes will be held on this day, but the Sports Complex will be open from 8:00 until 16:00 for any and all who wish to make use of it.

The requirement for wearing a school uniform will be suspended for this one day. You can wear street clothes if you wish. You are still expected to dress modestly: shirts, pants, and shoes are mandatory.

The chow hall will be open from 16:00 until 20:00. Dinner will be informal. Food will be buffet-style, and there will be plenty of candy and drinks. We will also have games like bobbing for apples and other fun stuff.

Visits to the Haunted house for all who wish to go will be done in order by times and grade levels as follows:

21:00 - Grade 9

22:00 - Grade 10

23:00 - Grade 11

24:00 - Grade 12

Please note, showers will still be available for those who choose to. After 20:00, please return to your wings except those assigned to visit the Haunted House.

Let's make this year the best ever!

-Flyer announcing St. Catherine's Halloween Celebration.

At dinner, Kato chose the same seat as the last two times. After a few minutes, Murata sat at the same table. Kato looked over to Takahashi's table and noticed that nobody was there yet. He looked at the line, Takahashi's friends had their trays and were walking over to their table. Kato looked at Murata, who simply shrugged. Kato looked back at the line, but nobody was there. Kato wondered, just how many meals does this guy miss?

After dinner, he waited patiently for his turn for showers. Tachibana opened the door and entered and said, with a smile, "Hey, Kato-san. Your turn."

Kato nodded then quickly added, "Okay." This gave Tachibana a chuckle. Kato left the room and went to the showers. It was the same as the night before, a group of boys laughing and horse playing until he entered, and then everything became quiet. Why do they have to do that! Kato screamed in his head.

One boy came up to Kato and said, "Sorry to hear about your seme."

Kato froze. "Huh?"

The boy explained, "Well, Handa-san was pitching, and he hit Takahashi-san with a wild pitch. They exchanged some nasty words then Takahashi-san charged the mound and they began fighting. We had to separate them."

Kato was aghast. "What?"

"Yup, even though Handa-san is much taller, that Takahashi-san is scrappy. He held his own."

"Is Takahashi-san okay?" Kato nervously inquired.

"Well, I didn't see any bleeding, so I doubt either was really hurt. But that pitch probably hurt like hell."

Kato was a little relieved to hear that. "Where is Takahashi-san now?"

"Probably at the administration building with Handa-san, thinking he should learn to control his temper."

Kato didn't appreciate the little jab* the boy took at Takahashi. He went over to the hooks. He hung his stuff up and undressed. He surreptitiously looked around, but nobody had even bothered looking his way. They were too busy talking and laughing about some dirty joke a boy told.