Chapter 35. First Date

Many have asked about the page boys. It's part of their curriculum. They are assigned on a rotational basis to come up to high school one day a week as pages, fulfilling many little duties. This helps the high school to get its many little chores done and helps the students to learn valuable skills they couldn't learn in a classroom setting.

—St. Catherine's Page Program.

Kato walked out of the dorm and noticed Takahashi, Murata, and Nakamura all standing there, apparently waiting on him again. He gave a polite bow and an evening greeting.

Murata came over and grabbed Kato's arm, saying "Come on! Let's hurry!" Takahashi and Nakamura simply looked at each other, shrugged, and started walking. Murata pulled Kato along.

Building 12 was a square, multi-story building. Not overly large. There were quite a few other students of all ages filing into the building. Inside, Kato was surprised. It looked just like any other movie theater he'd ever went to before. There was a concession stand and everything.

"This way," Takahashi said as he grabbed onto Kato's shoulder and motioned to a shorter line. Murata and Nakamura also followed.

"Huh?" Kato simply replied.

Nakamura spoke up, "The popcorn and soda are free. The rest is not."

Kato looked at Nakamura. "But I don't have any money."

"Don't worry about that," Takahashi said.

"I don't either," Murata spoke up.

"Don't worry about that," Nakamura mimicked Takahashi.

When it was their turn, Takahashi ordered two large popcorns and two large sodas. He looked at Kato and said, "You want anything else? I'm buying."

Kato didn't know what to say. He picked out some candy. Takahashi pulled out a silver card from his pocket and handed it to the cashier, paying for the candy.

Murata also picked out some candy and Nakamura pulled out his silver card and paid for it.

Kato and Murata both, in unison, said "Thank you," to their respective semes.

"Let's go," Takahashi said as he took the lead down the hallway to the theater.

Again, Kato couldn't believe the authenticity. If he didn't know better, he would have sworn that he was no longer at St. Catherine's. Takahashi found four seats in the middle and they all sat down. The semes on the outside, the ukes on the inside.

Kato was excited. He started devouring his popcorn, causing Takahashi to laugh.

"You should slow down, save some for the movie. You'll get a tummy ache doing that."

"No I won't," Kato replied.

"Suit yourself."

He looked at Murata who was busily talking to Nakamura. So, he busily ate his popcorn, watching all of the students enter and find seats.

The lights dimmed, signaling the movie was about to start. The room became quiet with the exception of whispering. Kato's popcorn was all gone. At least he still had some candy, he thought.

The movie started playing. It was old, but Kato didn't mind so much. He'd seen old movies before. After about ten minutes of the movie, he happened to look over at Murata and Nakamura and noticed that they were holding hands. Damn! he thought. Murata moves fast. What the hell?

He looked at Takahashi who was looking at the same thing. Then Takahashi held out his hand, palm up, like he was expecting Kato to do the same.

Kato glared and whispered, "What are you doing?"