Chapter 49. Bonding

Day 10

Kato got up to his usual routine and went to breakfast. After a few days sitting at this table, the two other boys who became regulars finally introduced themselves. They were both just a hair taller than Kato, and both must be ukes considering they're sitting here with Kato and Murata.

Both had shown up at the same time last month are so were also new. The boy with the brownish hair was named Akio Matsuoka and the dark haired was Katashi Ikeda. They were well aware of Kato and Murata's names since they talked so much.

They talked for a bit during breakfast about the school and what classes each was in. Kato wondered why they chose now to speak up, but he let it go. Maybe they were shy by nature or scared to be here or some other reason. He didn't want to pry.

Takahashi wasn't there. Kato imagined that he was probably nursing that ankle. He finished eating, returned to his room to get his stuff and went to class.

Kato was eager to hear Takahashi sing more but today the instructor had the entire class sing along to an English song. If he didn't know better, he would have sworn it was Sister Mary's suggestion that they do so. It's one thing to speak English, but singing it was super difficult for Kato. He didn't know when or where to stress syllables—half of a word on this note and drag out the other half on three more notes— it sucked. He was happy that with the whole class singing, his voice, and his mistakes, were drowned out. After that the instructor taught more music theory, something called syncopation.

At break, Kato wasn't thirsty, nor did he need to use the bathroom, so he got up and stood next to Takahashi, leaning against the wall. "Sup?" he said.

Takahashi smirked at Kato. "What?"

Kato shrugged.

Takahashi shook his head. "Silly."

"So, what's for dinner?"

Takahashi started laughing. "You are so easy to read. I knew you'd ask me that."

Kato grinned. "I'm a growing boy."

"Tonkotsu ramen."

"What the hell?" Kato yelped. "Doesn't it take all day to make that?"

"Yup, but that's not a problem."

"Where to you get the ingredients? Do they sell that here?"

Takahashi made a shush sound. "Never mind where I got them. Just be at my place at 5."

Kato nodded.

"What are we going to do tonight?"

"I dunno. I've got cards, other games, my guitar, whatever. Let's hang out, eat lots of food, then eat more food, and sleep it off." Takahashi smiled.

Kato fidgeted. "I don't know what to say."

"Don't say anything," Takahashi smiled.

"Okay." Kato went to sit back in his chair and wait for the next class.

This time the class was about opera. Kato wasn't very enthusiastic about opera. The instructor played a video, but it was all Italian with Japanese subtitles. The singing was alright but unintelligible. He zoned out watching it while thinking about dinner.

-----

Lunch came and went. Kato was waiting outside the dorm, ready to go to the Sports Complex for afternoon classes as Takahashi walked up.

"No crutches?"

"Nah, it feels okay to walk on now," Takashi informed him.

There was no sign of Murata and Nakamura, so Kato said, "Let's go."