Chapter 51. Sleepover

Sleep. It's something everyone does, in varying degrees, without exception. Many believe it to be a wonderful thing, but many also see it as a curse, a nighttime enemy that they must contend with.

It's estimated that all people in all walks of life, at one time or another, have suffered from a bout of insomnia, whether it was a single sleepless night or the prolonged distress of chronic insomnia.

The causes for chronic insomnia are as varied as the people who suffer from it. It can be the result of the stress and trauma of life experiences, or a medical condition. There are various medications that attempt to help the sufferer sleep, all with different levels of efficacy. Some of these medications have been discovered to have bad side effects or cause codependency. In no way should they ever be mixed with alcohol.

—Excerpt of a student's essay on insomnia

It was 9 o'clock now. He opened the door and left without saying another word to that perverted Tachibana. He walked down the hallway and peeked through the door. The little old nun was gone. He walked out the door and passed by Aizawa with a small nod as he went onto the other wing. He walked down to room 560 and knocked. Takahashi opened up and let him in.

"Good evening Ren-san."

"Good evening Ken-san." Kato smiled.

Takahashi pointed to where Kato could put his little bag. "So, rules of the road for this evening."

Kato looked at Takahashi, expectantly.

"Eat whatever you like, drink whatever you like, do whatever you like, sleep whenever you like—on your own bunk, of course." Takahashi smirked as he added that last part. "Feel free to sleep in boxers, but not nude."

Kato blushed and smacked Takahashi's arm. "Who would want to do that anyway?"

Takahashi winked back.

"Ramune?" Takahashi asked.

"Yes, please."

Takahashi fetched two bottles out of a bag and gave one to Kato. "I'm looking forward to tonight."

"Me too. My first swap." Kato grinned.

"Mine too."

"What?" Kato was shocked.

"Why so surprised?" Takahashi smirked.

"Didn't you have ukes before?"

"A few, yes. But none I really cared to spend the night with."

Kato blushed a little at the implication, and yet he felt somewhat honored to have been chosen as Takahashi's first swap. "But, what about your roommate? You haven't had to swap so that he could have someone spend the night here with him?"

"Nah. Nobody wants to do it." Takahashi sighed.

"Why not?"

"My reputation. They think I'll beat up their roommate, or rape them, or some shit."

"I see." Kato replied.

"Yeah, and my roommate and I get along well. We both can play guitar, both sing, both write music, and he didn't want to cause me any trouble, nor bring any on himself, so he swaps. He's been together with his uke since we got here. His uke's roommate is another uke that is a nice kid. He was super nervous the first time he found out he was swapping and would have to spend the night with me. But I broke the ice with some funny songs I played for him and we ended up chatting all night."

Takahashi shook his head and smiled. "If he didn't already have a seme, I might have asked to be his. He was very likeable. I was again in-between ukes."