Chapter 66. In Too Deep

There was an onsite shop staffed with certified mechanics. There were also classes for the Grade 12 students in mechanical and automotive repair. It was an extremely popular class and often hard to get into.

This shop kept up on the maintenance and repairs of the monastery's many vehicles and equipment. The staff were encouraged, with a generous discount in the cost of labor, to bring their personal vehicles for the students to work on, under the supervision of a licensed mechanic, of course.

—Life at St. Catherine's vol 2, p. 98

Takahashi let go of Kato's hand and said, "Let's go." He had that unreadable look again, like he simply shut himself off to Kato.

Kato got up and followed Takahashi out of the crowded theater. If he thought it was chilly on the way here, it was downright frigid now, though he wasn't sure if the source was the weather, or Takahashi.

"Blend with the crowd," Takahashi instructed. Kato followed closely behind. They entered the dorm in the mob, walking right past the little old nun who was attempting to direct traffic. He followed Takahashi right onto his wing and right into his room.

"That's how it's done," Takahashi chuckled.

"Oh, I was wondering how we would swap since it's already 10:30," Kato smiled.

"Make yourself at home," Takahashi offered.

Kato still felt that there was an elephant in the room. He should not have asked that question. Are you in love with me? Kato snidely asked himself. What the fuck was I thinking? Even if he was, would he admit it, let alone do it in a crowded movie theater? And if he is, what then?

He sat in a chair and held onto his wolf. Takahashi sat down on this bunk, looking down at his feet. Kato looked at his wolf and he gave it a small hug. They sat in uncomfortable silence for a few minutes before Takahashi finally spoke.

"Maybe a little," he said very quietly.

Kato was nervous. He simply hugged the wolf and looked at the floor.

A few more minutes passed before Takahashi again spoke, "Ren-san, I want you to know that you did nothing wrong. It just happened."

"What do we do now?" Kato asked softly.

"Nothing," Takahashi said firmly.

Kato looked up at Takahashi.

"Nothing has to change. We're friends now. We can keep things just the way they are."

Kato didn't know a lot about these kinds of things, but his gut told him that it was impossible to keep things just they way they are now.

"Also, listen. I'm not asking you for sex either. I know you don't want to. I can accept that."

Kato changed the subject away from sex. "How long have you had feelings for me?"

Takahashi looked down at his hands that were laying in his lap. After a minute of silence, he replied, "Since the first night I took care of you when you were sick."

Kato was surprised. He remembered it pretty well and he didn't consider that at the time Takahashi may have felt this way toward him. He thought he was simply being taken care of.

Kato suddenly dropped the wolf as his mind went crazy as he considered all of the intimate moments they had together: sleeping in the same bed, Takahashi's hand on Kato's belly, getting naked together while changing, holding hands during the movie, "comfortableness training," and much more. He felt betrayed.

"Y—You—fucking pervert!" Kato angrily exclaimed and picked up his wolf and threw it at Takahashi.

"What the hell?" Takahashi exclaimed.