Chapter 52. Another Saturday Morning Swim

Despite the school's best intentions to create a classless society among the student body, the simple fact remained that many students had financial resources, and many did not.

Attempts were made to ensure that all students were treated fairly with some basic wants met. For example, the concessions at the theater where all students got free popcorn and soda was implemented. Those who had the means could purchase other concessions. Also, the commissary: students were allowed to select from a small list of basic items, such as hygiene, whereas the students with the funds could purchase from a wide array of items. Some thought this was unfair, but every school, public or private, does this.

In an effort to help those less fortunate students, and the fact that St. Catherine's was such a large estate, there were chore assignments that students could sign up for that the could earn funds for themselves. Of course, this helped the school as they did not have to pay prevailing wage or any other associated costs with hiring outside contractors or extensive maintenance crews. It also helped the students learn life skills and how to manage their resources.

Interestingly, as horrific as many thought seme/uke was, in the vast majority of the cases, the couple would learn to work together to care for each other; one or both may work, or have outside resources, or both could be poor and still find a way to obtain what they could and share what little they had. It's these small interactions among the students that restores one's faith in humanity again.

-Anonymous article about equality among the student body of St. Catherine's

Day 11

"Hey," Tachibana said.

"Good morning," Kato responded. He began to put some stuff away.

"How'd it go?"

"We did not have sex," Kato stated.

"Disappointed?" Tachibana snickered.

"Shut up," Kato replied.

Tachibana snickered some more at the response. "Ok, see ya later," he said as he left the room.

Kato went down to the bathroom to clean up a little.

The morning boys were quiet as usual, but one exclaimed, "Kato-san's back!"

Kato felt all eyes on him. What the hell? he thought.

Higashihara came over and put his arm around Kato's shoulder. "So? What was it like spending the night with the infamous Kensuke Takahashi?" He grinned.

Another boy spoke up, "Did he make you do it?" Kato didn't like the emphasis implied on the two last words.

"No, no. We did not have sex." Kato wanted to set the record straight.

A different boy asked, "You turned him down?"

Kato looked at him. "No. He never offered."

Higashihara asked, "So, does that mean you wouldn't have turned him down if he did?"

Kato was getting irritated and embarrassed at these questions. "No. I don't like him like that."

The other boys started asking other questions but Higashihara interrupted them, "Ok ok boys, that's enough. Leave the poor boy alone." He squeezed Kato a little and said, "I'm just happy you survived."

Kato didn't know what else to say but, "Thanks."

All the boys went back to their business and Kato to his. He was glad Higashihara had some respect in him to have ended the barrage of questions.