Chapter 56. TLC, Part 3

I grew up loving music. I had toured the world in my youth and played for several bands. I am also a life-long Catholic and love the Lord very much.

After my last tour, I decided that I wanted to settle down and introduce children to the wonderful gift of music. I spent much time in primary education before a position opened up at a high school, which I took. It was a good opportunity as I could teach students that already had some basic music instruction. I also looked for those with latent talents or who needed advanced instruction.

I'll never forget this one brilliant pupil, Kensuke Takahashi. He was truly devoted and played daily. We spent many jam sessions together. He went on to organize a school band and ended up graduating with a full scholarship to a famous school in America. I hear he became famous abroad. I hope he will write me someday or stop by for some tea.

—Excerpt from the autobiography of Father Pritchett

Kato awoke just after 1 pm. He was alone in the room. He remembered a time when all he wanted was to be alone. But now he missed Takahashi. He got up, put the robe on and went to use the restroom. When he returned, he decided to do his homework. He was sick and tired of being sick and tired already. He drank some juice that Takahashi had left and busily did homework. After that, he read more, then he laid his head down on the desk and rested for a bit.

He awoke to someone's warm hand gently rubbing his bare back. He was still in his boxers. He couldn't remember the last time he spent an entire day in his underwear. He looked up and saw that Takahashi had returned.

"Feeling any better?" Takahashi asked.

"A little," Kato said. He wasn't really sure if that was true or not. He looked at the clock and it was 4:17 pm.

"You feel up to dinner tonight or do you want to stay in?"

Kato shook his head, "I don't wanna go."

"Okay, no problem. I'll see that you get fed."

Kato suddenly felt emotional. He didn't know why. A tear quickly formed and ran down his cheek as he stared up at Takahashi.

"Hey, I'll take care of you," Takahashi said reassuringly as he cupped Kato's cheek with his hand, wiping the tear away with his thumb.

Kato looked away, breaking free of Takahashi's hand. He was embarrassed. "Sorry about that. Must be this flu."

Takahashi simply replied, "I understand." After a moment he continued, "I'm gonna go get some stuff from my room and see about dinner. Be back in a while. Oh, here's this afternoon's homework assignment." He left a paper on the desk.

"Okay," Kato smiled. He went back to finishing up his homework.

Takahashi returned just after 5 o'clock with something that smelled wonderful. He spooned it up into two bowls. It was beef udon.

Kato sat up eagerly. He ate it with gusto and even asked for a seconds and thirds.

"Somebody was hungry," Takahashi smiled.

"That was excellent. Thank you." Kato said.

Takahashi chuckled. "How about we dispense with the 'thank yous'?"

Kato wondered at this. "Huh?"

Takahashi smiled. "No need to say it so often. I know it already."

Kato took some more medicine. He wasn't tired. Takahashi began filling him in on what the instructors went over in class today in the lectures.

"It's 6 o'clock. I need to hit the showers. Kind of strange showering with the semes on a different wing."