high school

c a l u m

if someone came up to you in the street and asked you what you hated most about school, well, they'd have to be prepared to sit down for a century to hear your rant. but if they asked to just give them the number one thing you hated, the one thing that you absolutely couldn't stand from the rest of things you hated about school, it would have to be being assessed in sport. the way people became so competitive, yelling at you, trying to be better than you even though you were all in a team, it just wasn't your thing. and then to have your sport teacher walking up and down the courts, staring you down. it was just so god damn intimidating and so fricking annoying.

but then if someone came up to you in the street and asked you what you loved most about school, or more technically, sport, they'd have to be prepared to sit down for a century to hear your reasons as to why watching calum hood run up and down a court, seeing his shirt lift up the slightest when he went for kicks, seeing him lift his shirt up the whole way when he went to wipe his face off from sweat, the way he'd run his hands through his hair during breaks, that was something you couldn't get enough of.

unfortunately, all you were to him was probably some creepy girl in sports class who, instead of helping her team out with volleyball, was watching him play football intently. but today, today you were set on getting a good grade in sport, you were set on helping your team out to get good effort marks, and most of all you were set on looking like a good sport player person thing in front of calum. for the first half, you were actually doing pretty well. you were scoring a few points, helping out your teammates, and everyone was getting along.

then came the second half. you'd been slightly crouched down, waiting for the volleyball to be served into your court. you'd been so concentrated on the ball and the other team that you didn't hear the warning yell for 'heads!' coming from the futsal court next to your volleyball court. the volleyball was served badly, someone from the other team gave it a bit of a bump, and then you jumped up to spike it back down to the other court. in the midst of your jump, a futsal ball came flying into your side, knocking you down to the ground. it was nothing major - just the shock that made you look around with wide eyes. a hand stuck out in front of you, and you looked up to see calum standing in front of you. there was no better way to explain how you felt; you felt as if your stomach had just risen up to your mouth. you took it, and he helped you get back up, smiling sheepishly.

"sorry about that - the game became pretty intense." he explained, picking up the futsal ball beside you. you shook your head, still shocked, but this time at the fact that calum - calum bloody hood - was talking to you.

"it's fine. you're fine. i mean. sorry. i didn't mean you're fine, i just mean that it's okay. not that you're not fine because you are, wait no. No, i'm sorry." you spluttered out your word vomit, becoming more embarrassed by the second as calum's smirk grew wider and wider in amusement. he chuckled, spinning the futsal ball in his hands.

"you're pretty fine yourself. and i meant that," he winked before turning on heel and walking away. just before he was out of hearing distance, he called back over his shoulder, "i'll see you around!"

you forced yourself to smile slightly and wave a bit instead of standing there, staring at him with your jaw slack like a freak.

well, that just happened.

a s h t o n

ashton sat in the middle row, slouched back in his chair, his arm slung around the back of it. just five more minutes. five more minutes and the day would be over and you wouldn't have to listen to him constantly talking, making jokes, taunting the teacher in an innocent, charming yet totally annoying way, and worst of all - looking over at you and cheekily grinning and winking because he knew how much it annoyed you. you tapped your pen impatiently against your notebook as the seconds ticked by slowly and ashton made another snide comment, the rest of the class chuckling in unison. you rolled your eyes, looking over at him to catch him smirking at you.

"what?" you asked quietly, narrowing your eyes. he just shook his head, leaning back to talk to one of his friends. it infuriated you really. how he managed to be so annoying yet also so attractive at the same time. it wasn't fair.

finally, the bell rang loudly through the school halls and you sighed in relief, closing up your textbook and stuffing it into your bag as fast as possible, slinging it over your shoulder and making a start to leave. you didn't get too far down the hallway when the backpack strap that wasn't over your other shoulder was being tugged back on lightly. you hovered back, turning around to see qshton holding on to it, leaning against the wall. you groaned.

"what do you want?" you asked sharply, looking over your shoulder as if to say 'i really have to go'. ashton smirked.

"where's my goodbye kiss? i don't get to annoy you until tomorrow," he pouted slightly. you glared at him, trying to not think about what he just said so that you wouldn't blush. it didn't help that you were just thinking about how attractive he was in your former class. the halls were emptying out quickly, everyone eager to leave, and you sighed.

"go kiss a piranha, ashton." You turned on your heel to leave before he tugged back on your backpack strap, causing you to bump back into the wall. your breath caught when he leaned off the wall slightly, placing a hand near your face to balance himself in front of you. you swallowed harshly at the proximity of the two of you. you hated it but loved it all at the same time; it was driving you insane.

"i really take offense to that," he mumbled quietly, leaning in closer. you could feel the warmth radiating off him now, you were so close that your chests were practically brushing with every breath the two of you were taking. you broke eye contact with him quickly, looking towards the exit/entrance doors.

"sorry," you said quietly, your voice sounding a little raspy. you cleared your throat, looking back up at him. you wanted to slap the smirk right off his face but at the same time, grab him and just kiss the living daylights out of him. ashton dipped down to lean his face closer to yours; he was so close that your foreheads were almost touching.

"apology accepted," he grinned, leaning off the wall and walking down the hallway, leaving you flustered and confused against the wall.

god dammit, ashton irwin.