[65] He Asks Your Parents For Permission To Date You

-He Asks Your Parents For Permission To Date You-

A s h t o n

"Mom, Dad, Y/S/N, this is Ashton," you say as you walk into the kitchen where your family was getting ready for dinner. You told them you were bringing a "friend" home for dinner, but Ashton was way more than that. You just knew you couldn't put a label on it until you knew your parents were okay with it, and Ash insisted on asking them for permission, no matter how cliche it seemed. The meal went on just fine despite Ashton's obvious anxiety, and your parents and sister seemed to really like him. As your sister and you stood to start cleaning up, you heard Ashton clear his throat once he thought you were out of earshot. "Mr. and Mrs. Y/LN, I don't really know how to ask this, but, um, I really like your daughter. Like, really like her," you heard and your sister turned to you, her eyes wide as she let out a small squeal. "And, er, I was wondering if I had your permission to, well, date her?" he finished, and you elbowed your sister as your face flushed. You could imagine his blushed cheeks matching yours. "Of course, Ashton, you seem like a great young man," you hear your mother say with a delighted tone. "Agreed," your dad chimed in, and you let out a breath you didn't know you were holding.

C a l u m

"You okay there, Cal?" your dad asks as long-time family friends' son and recent fling visibly wiped some sweat off his forehead from his seat across from you at the dinner table. You'd both decided that tonight was the night you'd tell your parents, at your monthly dinner. "You've been acting weird all evening, Calum, are you sure you aren't sick?" his mom asks, reaching over to place her hand on his forehead. "I'm not sick," he groans, gently pushing her hand away, and you try to hold back a laugh. He clears his throat like he's going to say something, but hesitates. "Dude, what's wrong you?" your older brother asks him, fueling your giggling fit. "Stop it, Y/N," Calum whines. Everyone suddenly looked between the two of you, and you now felt the same nerves Calum was obviously feeling. "Um," Calum starts. "Well, Y/N and I, we're dating?" he says the last two words quickly, his voice in the form of a question. The awkward silence that follows is worse than you expected. "I mean, if... if that's okay with you guys," he adds, looking down at his plate. "Gross," your brother finally says. "You're practically already part of the family, Cal, why'd you think we would say no?" your dad decides to say, and Calum lets out a sigh of relief and shoots you a grin. "I still think it's gross," your brother reiterates as both your mothers let out squeals of happiness.

L u k e (his P.O.V)

I hold my breath as I reach up to knock on Y/N's parents' door. I still couldn't believe I was actually doing this, but Y/N had told me they wouldn't like it if we were together without their permission. I'd met them once before under the pretense that Y/N and I were just friends and they hadn't exactly been the biggest fans of me. I was unconvinced that this would help sway me in their favor, as I stared at their perfectly manicured lawn, then down at my ripped black skinny jeans. I began to wonder if I should take out my lip ring when the door opened. "Hi, Mrs. Y/LN, I don't know if you remember me, but my name's Luke Hemmings," I say, forcing a smile. "Oh, yes, of course," she says, her eyes scanning over me quickly. "Who is it, Y/M/N?" I hear as Y/N's father appears at the door as well. "My name's Luke Hemmings, sir, we met once before," I say, holding out my hand to him. He hesitantly shakes it. "Ah, yes, now I remember," he says. "What can we do for you, Mr. Hemmings? Y/N isn't home right now." "Yes, sir, I know. That's actually what I wanted to talk to you about," I say. "Why don't you come in?" Y/N's mother says, gesturing me inside and onto a sofa. "So, I know I'm probably not exactly what you had in mind for your daughter, but... I really like her, and I was wondering if... if it's okay if I ask her out," I say nervously, a long silence ensuing. "Well, I don't see why not," her mother says, nudging her husband with her elbow. "Its...fine," he says reluctantly. "Just don't take her for granted, son," he says, cocking an eyebrow at me. "Of course not, sir," I say, a feeling of relief taking over me.

M i c h a e l

"I can't believe you're making me do this," Michael groans as he looks down at the phone in his hand. "C'mon, they'll eat it up," you insist. "Do I actually have to?" he pleads with you to say no, but you just pick up the phone and start dialing your parents' number for him. He gulps as you press the phone against his ear and glares at you slightly. "Hi!" he says all of a sudden as someone, you assumed your dad, on the other end answers the phone. "Er, my name's Michael Clifford, sir. I'm a... friend... of your daughter's," he says awkwardly. "Well, I was actually calling to ask you, well, to ask if I have your permission to date Y/N," Michael says, then lightly shoves your shoulder as you begin to giggle slightly. "Oh," he says, sounding dismayed at the reply from the other end. You suddenly begin to get worried - did your dad actually say no? Just as you began to panic, Michael lets out a relieved, "Haha, very funny sir," and visibly relaxes. "Nice talking to you, too, Mr. Y/LN," he says before hanging up the phone. "You and your dad have the same terrible sense of humor," he says, glaring at you before you pull his face down to connect his lips with yours.