break up pt. 1

a s h t o n

youu walked inside the small café, a bell sounding off as you walked inside. the café was unique, no piece of furniture matching the other. it was quirky and you liked it; it had been a spot for you and your boyfriend ashton to hang out at for a while now. it was busier than usual that day and so you smiled in relief when you saw ashton sitting down at a table, one of the very few tables vacant.

"hey there rock star," you grinned down at him and he stood up, leaning over and placing a kiss on your cheek. you had been calling ashton that ever since he had told you the news a few days ago that he and his band were going to be the opening act for one direction for their world tour. you knew it was going to be different and a little hard to keep your relationship going without being with each other for a year but you were planning on a lot of skype calls and face times and you were already both looking at flights for when you could fly over and visit him for a week or two.

you sat down at the table and gave him a smile even though he was quiet, which made you a little curious considering he had been buzzing with excitement just a day ago, not being able to shut up because he was going on tour.

"what's up?" you asked softly and he looked up from the table at you; he looked tired.

"i didn't get a lot of sleep last night when I got back from yours. i was thinking a lot," he said and you frowned slightly, confused.

"thinking about what?" you asked and he sighed, chewing on his bottom lip.

"us," he replied but you continued to frown in confusion. the answer was so short it gave you nothing to work with; did he mean it in a good way or a bad way? your gut was going with the latter but you weren't going to let yourself believe that. the two of you had been together for almost a year now, your relationship was strong; you weren't going to let anything break you.

"what about us?" you asked after a little bit of silence and he sighed.

"i'm going to be on tour for a year, (y/n). a whole year that we're going to be apart. how does that even work?" he asked and your stomach sank a little. you didn't like where this was going and the defensive side started showing in you, trying to resolve whatever problems were going on in his head.

"it will work, ash. we'll make it work. you'll be travelling across the world and yeah, we'll be apart but we can skype and call each other and other things like that. i don't care about time differences, call me whenever. and we've been looking at flights..." you started getting a little nervous, your speech becoming quicker.

"and what about your university courses? where does calling me at three in the morning and flying out across the world fit in there?" he asked and you swallowed harshly, wanting him to just realize that you didn't care about it all as long as you were together and happy because you loved each other.

"i'll figure it out, ash. you know i will," you reasoned and he looked up into your eyes, his gaze matching your fear and sadness.

"and what if you can't figure it out?" he asked and you breathed in sharply. where was all this negativity coming from? this wasn't your ashton, the one who asked the millions of negative questions that always thought of the problem and not the solution. where was your joyful ashton who would be sitting here right now talking excitedly about the tour and showing you all the places he would be seeing?

"i...i don't know..." you replied quietly and he sighed, placing his hand on to yours but you pulled your hand back slightly, too scared for where this conversation was heading. you knew that you would've resembled a deer in headlights, your expression so confused and scared that you were at a loss of words.