Unveiling the Past (Part 12)

Nandini, Kunal and Mauli- Kya hua doctor? Koi ghabrane ki baat toh nahi.

The trio exchanged glances as the doctor smiled. She then straightened her face preparing to say the very news that will change everything.

**************************************************************

Doctor- She is pregnant 

And there it was, the happiness and delight in Kunal's eyes, the tears of joy in Nadini's and Mauli well she was just stunned, shocked, rooted to the spot. 

Kunal embraced Nandini in a hug as she hugged him back. It took all the energy she had, every fiber in her body yelled and it took all her might to whisper a congratulations before she sprinted out and tears made way down her cheeks she crouched down in a corner of her tent hugging her knees tight sobbing as if there is no tomorrow, her world seemed to crash and she closed her eyes trying not to remember anything related to that fateful day. 

She bit her lower lip trying to control but her sobs only grew louder and tears only rolled down faster. It had taken everything she had and every consolation that Siddharth had offered for her to press down those memories but today, they just sprang back up. 

Her phone rang pulling her out of her misery, she stretched out for it, she received it without checking the id, her vision to blurry too. 

Voice- Hello

His voice only made her want to pour her heart out to him, the last thing she wanted to do was tense him up. 

Mauli- Hi

she said trying to control her voice as much as possible

Voice- You okay!?

Mauli- Ofcourse Sidharth 

Sidharth- Sure na?

Mauli- Ya, anyways I am coming back tomorrow. 

Sidharth- hmmm

He hummed still not convinced

Mauli- Okay, listen I got to go lot of patients lined up.

Sidharth- Okay, take care, love you, bye

Mauli- Love you to, bye

She hanged up, sighing in relief. Today was going to be a long day...

Staying in that position that fateful day ran thorough her mind. If only...

Mauli had not told Kunal yet that she was pregnant, he was going to get married today, and before that she had to let him know. She hopped into her car, she took long careful breaths as her hands curved around the wheel. This was it, she had to tell him. 

She started the engine and started driving towards his and Nandini's house. It was not a long way but the nervousness inside her body made it feel like eternity and the traffic was not helping either.

On the other hand the wedding had started in the house, just a few guests and very simple decoration but the couple did not mind. As long as they were going to get married to each other. As Nandini sat beside Kunal he entwined his hands with her and passed her a reassuring smile.

As she drove Mauli's phone was continuously beeping. She glanced at it and saw the notifications filled with messages from Sidharth. She picked up the phone and called him. Talking to him had become a routine, he was always there for her. 

Sidharth- Hello!?

Mauli- Ya, you were messaging I am in the car, anything urgent? bolo?

Sidharth- Where are you going? 

Mauli- Somewhere

Sidharth- You can tell me

Mauli sighed, what was the point, Sidharth anyways knew everything. 

Mauli- Kunal's house

Sidharth- Finally planned to tell him?

Mauli- Yup 

and before any one of them could comprehend what happened Mauli's car took a wild turn and smashed into the pole. The phone line went dead as Mauli lay unconscious in the car blood dripping from her head and hands, glass pieces had managed to pierce her skin but she lay there...still

Nandini and Kunal smiled at each other as they stood up for their pheras their hands still entwined the took circles of the sacred fire, the mantras like those distant whispers of the bystanders who had witnessed Mauli's accident. 

On the other hand Sidharth was in panic, he informed an ambulance to follow him as he ran to the car and drove off, towards Kunal's house. 

It was not long before a shivering, crying Sidharth helped Mauli into the ambulance as they rushed back to the hospital, and she was rushed into the operation theatre. Sidharth was a mess, it was like after all these years he had gained somebody who was like family. His real family had passed away when he was 19 and finding Mauli was like finding family again.

They had become the best of friends. That is when it strikes him, he called Mauli's ma and did to inform them about the accident but he also mentioned it was a minor one and Mauli will be alright. The last thing he wanted to do was stress them out. 

The doctors in the operation theatre were trying frantically to save both mother and child, luckily the baby was not dead yet. The accident did not have a major impact on mauli but it did have one on the baby.

As the wedding came to an end Kunal and Nandini were pronounced husband and wife

And as the operation came to an end the baby was pronounced dead.

Sidharth was first to receive the news of how the operation went and all he could do was think how he would tell Mauli. Which the doctor advised she should do. 

***

Mauli was conscious now 

Slowly advancing towards her, he cautiously sat beside her. Sidharth himself was confused on how to console Mauli. 

They just sat silently one trying to figure out how to handle situation and other in remorse of spending of losing something so dear to her.

Sidharth kept his palm over hers trying to give some strength to her and find some for him too.

Sidharth was stunned when suddenly Mauli turned and hugged him. He felt something wet over her shoulder realising she is crying. She soon broke into loud sobs, her body shuddering with its intensity.

Sensing her need of comfort Sidharth wounded her arms around him after a moment of hesitation.

Sidharth's heart broke into pieces as her sobs increasing with passing time with incoherent mumblings something like my fault, hate and other which he was unable to hear and frame.

 He let her cry knowing very well that this is needed.  The truth has indeed shaken her. She was crying miserably.

Time passed and there were no sign of her stopping, so Sidharth slowly pulled himself back and holding her hands in his made her look towards himself.

Sidharth- Mauli, Please Sambhalo apne apko. Mai janta hu ye mushkil hai par namumkin toh nahi. Waqt har ghav ko bhar deta hai, Mai janta hu ye Sach janne ke bad tumhe aur bhi jyada dard ho raha hoga ye sochkar ki tum apne  parivar ko kaise bataogi?

Mauli nodded affirmatively surprised at how easily he understood her thoughts.

They felt solid, certain, safe.

They felt like everything she'd ever loved about being young and free. The scent of sand and salt on his skin; the wild feeling of falling and knowing someone would always be there to catch her or, at the very least, tend to her wounds; the newness of all things

**************************************************************

I am extremly upset that target votes have not been achieved but I cannot make my regular readers suffer so I am pushing the book to slow updates. I will update whenever possible but my priority will be my other FF's where target votes are being achieved. 

Anyways hope you liked the update.