Battling the Present (Part 13)

Mauli nodded affirmatively surprised at how easily he understood her thoughts.

They felt solid, certain, safe.

They felt like everything she'd ever loved about being young and free. The scent of sand and salt on his skin; the wild feeling of falling and knowing someone would always be there to catch her or, at the very least, tend to her wounds; the newness of all things

**************************************************************

Present time:

She wiped her tears composing herself by taking in deep, long breaths. She is not going to fall weak...Never.  She pulled her self out of the past and prepared herself to battle the present. She was not going to falter, but emerge as a warrior. In every test of life she will prove herself a winner

A small smile formed on her face imagining how she drew strength from Sidharth even when he was not near her.

She pulled herself back together and got on with attending patients in the camp. She was busy with a patient when her phone beeped, she quickly wrapped up with the patient and opened the message.

It was a message from Sidharth a picture of their wedding card... yes they were gonna get married.

" it is lovely" she typed

"I know" he responded

She smiled at his cheeky and full of his self answer but she loved it, she loved him.

Mauli stood up and walked towards the next ward, on her way she bumped into Nandini.

Nandini - sorry humne aapko dekha nahi

Mauli - it is okay

She whispered back not bothering to make a conversation. Mauli started to walk away but Nandini held her hand.

Mauli halter midway, taking a deep sigh and bracing her self for the conversation that was going to follow she turned around.

Mauli - yes?

She questioned with an eyebrow raised, making sure to display her clear disinterest in having a conversation with Nandini.

Nandini- Khush nahi Ho humare liye?

Mauli- huh?

Nandini- are you not happy? For me? For Kunal? For us?

Mauli scoffed

Mauli - Congratulations Nandini on being pregnant, sincerely congrats but on a personal level I feel nothing. You are nobody special to me, not my Friend not my Sister... nothing. But as one woman to another I am very happy for you.

Nandini looked evidently hurt but said nothing.

Nandini - thanks mauli, maybe you said this to make me feel bad, but the fact that even as a stranger you are happy for me means a lot.

Mauli smiled

Mauli - I do nothing to hurt you, not worth my time or energy. I only spoke the truth and I am Glad you are happy in what I said cause you are getting nothing more for me.

Mauli - now if you will excuse me, I have to get back to work.

Mauli was about to walk away but was once again stopped by Nandini

Nandini - Why did you run?

Mauli spun on her heels surprised at the question

Mauli - what do you mean?

Nandini - when the doctor broke the news, you merely whispered a congratulations, then tears pooled in your eyes and u ran. I saw you Mauli. I might be hugging Kunal at that time but I saw you. If you are genuinely happy or rather indifferent why did you run?

Mauli was unable to respond, she did not know what to say, she did not want to tell her anything about the past so she decided to stay quiet.

Nandini - bolo mauli! Why are you quiet now ha! Say something!

Mauli - I choose not to waste my time further

Saying so mauli turned to go but Nandini's words stopped her in her tracks.

Nandini- yet again you are running away

Mauli now has enough.

Mauli - you get to say nothing to me, a cheater, a liar and a home wrecker can possibly cannot call me anything cause you have stooped to a level I will never even think of falling to!

Nandini was taken aback, tears trickled down the side of her cheeks.

Mauli- look, I am telling this to you in very clear words, and this is the last time I am saying it so you better register it! When I say I have moved on, I have genuinely moved on. When I say I don't care, I honestly don't care. What i say is exactly what I mean. My reactions to certain situations are my reactions and I do not feel the need to clarify things to you. If you think I am jealous and I told you I am not but you still wish to believe so then go ahead cause I am not wasting my time trying to convince you at show you the mirror that holds reality.

Nandini - you were pregnant

Mauli - what?!

Nandini - you were pregnant when Kunal left you, it all makes sense now.

Mauli was taken aback but she got a hold of herself.

Mauli - I have more important things to take care of then your assumptions and misconceptions... so suit yourself.

And with this mauli left a shocked Nandini with her own thoughts.

Nandini's POV

Omg, it all makes sense. Mauli hating us more than the time she found out, Mauli's reaction to my pregnancy announcement, and her incomplete sentences in between arguments with Kunal and I. But then why did she not tell us before? And where is her child? Has she hidden her/him from us? I will have to speak to Kunal about this...but then what if he leaves me after realising that Mauli has given birth to his child...

**************************************************************

What do yuh guys think? Will Nandini tell Kunal about her suspicion? Anyways, hope you liked the update!