|Humble Interactions| Ch. 2

Outside was much different in comparison  to the warm medical building. While the facility was quiet and calm(Most likely accompanied by a gracious gas bill due to the generous heat), it was a raging storm of snow and bubbling hatred outside of its walls. The brutal, chilled air provided no comfort for the underdressed, and proved so by nipping at any bare skin with its cold, outstretched claws of wind. People and cars rushed to-and-fro in a flurry of slushed, dirty snow. No one paid any mind as the woman and younger adolescent made it to the safety of their car, and started off down the road after it came to life with a rumbled purr.

The street moved in an incoherent blur as you zoned out- staring out the foggy glass, time blending together into nothingness as you fell into the depths of your thoughts. If your mother had tried to start up a conversation at any point during the ride, you wouldn’t have known, too caught up in your own worries.

Were you really sure about this? Did you REALLY need a Bitty of all things? Sure, they were kinda cute and all, but you didn’t feel as responsible as someone your age COULD be. Your mom even made it seem like they would be more responsible of you than vice versa, which did not seem too great in your book. Maybe it wasn’t too late to decline such an offer? It wasn’t, right? It couldn’t possibly be. But… You couldn’t bear to see the look on your mom’s face if you told her that. You knew she only wanted the best for you. But you couldn’t  tug off that doubt. You couldn’t even take care of yourself as it was, why add more stress to that? Why put a Bitty’s life in your palms when you already screwed up your own-

-Your thoughts stopped reeling. The sudden realization the the engine had just cut catching your attention. The rattling of keys made you blink, and you looked over to see your mother removing the car keys from the ignition slot. It took you a few moments to realize that she was staring right back at you, as if waiting for you to react. Your gears then started turning as you looked out the front view window, seeing a brightly coloured shop sitting right in front of the parked car. It was such a contrast to the bleak surroundings, taking you somewhat off guard by its appearance.

It looked like any normal pet store, but something seemed different, you just couldn’t place it. The store gave off a cheerful aura, a calm and happy place. Just looking through its clean, crystal clear windows made you feel a bit better, seeing how cozy and welcoming it looked inside, even for it only being a store. Out of the corner of your eye, you could see your mother watching you carefully. After a minute, she seemed to find what she was looking for in your own gaze and turned away with a smile, opening her side door with a quick Click and hopping out.

“ C’mon (Y/n)! Aren’t you excited? “ Came (M/n)’s sing-song voice as she turned to the car, watching with a warm gaze as her child pulled herself out and slammed the old car’s door shut. The only response she received was a quiet grunt as the two made it up to the store’s doors.

Once you made it into the new building your eyes widened somewhat, and you let out an inaudible gasp. It was a very pretty area, despite it being a bit small. The flooring was checkered brown, along with cream coloured walls that were adorned with wooden shelves, holding a plethora of items carefully stacked on each. There weren’t any cages or creatures in this room, from what you could see. But from what you could tell, the Bitty’s were probably held somewhere else in another room. You didn’t even realised that you had once again zoned out into your thoughts until you suddenly felt the tugging of your hand being pulled forward by your mother, allowing her to guide you to the counter where a young teen boy stood.

“ Hello! Welcome to Mama Cry’s Bitty Helpers. Would I be of any assistance of you today? “ The boy asked with curious eyes, brushing through his short black hair.

“ Hello. I was wondering if me and my daughter would be able to adopt a Bitty by any chance? She’s looking for a companion that would help her through her therapy. “ Your mom responded with a chip tone. You grimaced right after, slightly embarrassed at how she explained it. She didn’t have to tell them why they were here.