|Trudging On| Ch. 14

“I leave you in the store to your own devices for only an hour and a half.”

You found your mom.

“Why didn't I expect this…”

She wasn't too happy.

You now sat in the back seat of the car, King sitting happily in your lap while Cherry and Blue sat on either side of you, asleep. Your mom hadn't said a single word to you until halfway through the drive home.

“I'm not saying sorry for something I'm not sorry for…” You mumbled, twiddling your hands and looking out the window. You stayed staring at the passing surroundings in silence, feeling Cherry and Blue both shift a few times in their sleep.

“Do you even know why I'm mad?” She then snaps after a few minutes, readjusting the rear view mirror to stare at you.

You were silent for a moment. “That I didn't ask you about the Bitty until after…?” You may or may not have hid King in one of your coat pocket until you got to the car, and then revealed him right when your mom got out of the parking lot.

“Exactly.” She spoke in a stern voice, and then quickly turned back to watching the road. You knew she wouldn't say anything else until you all got home. But you weren't worried about King though, you knew she wouldn't throw him or take him to a store. She was too nice. But, she was mad, and that usually meant you'd be grounded. She never usually got stern with you, but when she did, your mother was scary.

Sighing quietly, you turned you gaze downcast to look at King, who returned your star. After a moment of silence he gave you a slightly confused look and you shrugged in response. After a second, you turned your head back to the window and yawned, closing your eyes. A nap would do you some good perhaps. Yah.

Relaxing your body, you stretched the best you could in the cramped space and without waking up the two sleeping Bittys. You don't know when you fell asleep, but you did.

_

You woke up to the car suddenly jolting to a stop, signaling you were now home. Blearily opening your eyes and looking around, you yawned. What a good nap…

As your eyes fell upon your mom who was now unbuckling, you grumbled, remembering that she was still very much angry with you. Maybe she forgot…?

“Inside, now.” Or not. Definitely didn't forget. She glared at you somewhat as you slid out of the car, holding all three Bitty's close to your chest. You didn't look at her after that as you made your way up on to the porch, your mother unlocking the door. By now, Cherry, King, and Blue were all awake but you didn't say anything, only standing in the hall and carefully sliding your shoes off without falling over.

You had expected your mother to go off on you or something, but she didn't even give you a glance as she walked into the house, a stressed air around her.

“Room, now. I don't want to see you until dinner. Then you go straight to bed afterwards, I am very mad at you right now. Now, go get your bags.” Without another word she disappeared through the hallway, probably heading into her room.

With a quiet sigh, you slowly walked over to the couch and set the three Bittys down, giving them a small smile. “I'll be back in a moment, I have to get your things.” Without another sound, and without letting them get a word in, you were out the door to quickly collect the items.

Once you finally gathered everything and got to your room, did someone dare speak.

“I knew he was trouble…” Cherry mumbled, looking over at King for split second, eye-sockets narrowed. You frowned at the comment, turning your body from your comfy floor sitting position so that you could stare up at them, sitting on your bed.