Chapter Seventy Eight.

"Thank you, by the way."

Harry read over the message while he sat in the drivers seat of his car, locked in the dark confines of the vehicle just past eight o'clock. It had been hours and she had finally gotten up the courage to acknowledge him, or at least gave in and returned his kindness with a simple thank you. His thumbs danced over the screen debating whether he should bother to reply, or wondered what he should even say, before he startled to the sound of a knuckle tapping against his window. He glanced upward to handsome features and an equally as handsome smile.

"I'm late," he announced through the closed window.

Harry pressed the lock button on his phone and set it on his lap, popping the door open just slightly to speak to him. "Two words I never want to hear."

"Is that a period joke?"

Harry shrugged. "It could be."

"Good one," Ben chuckled. "Aubry's been extra bitchy the past couple of days so I think you might be safe this time."

"Great," Harry drew out the word, sounding less than pleased at the reminder. Even just the possibility was worrisome.

The car door was pushed open even more, causing Ben to step back while Harry climbed out of the drivers seat. His phone was tossed onto the leather, discarding both the device and the thought of Aubry altogether. "Come hang out with me."

Harry's forearms rested across the top of the door, leaning his weight. "If I disappear again my parents will never let me outside for the rest of my life."

"No disappearing, just for a little while," Ben smiled. "I happen to enjoy your company."

That earned a smile from Harry. "What do you want to do?"

"No one's home at my place," Ben tried.

Harry was quick to catch on. "Are you implying...?"

"No," he quickly denied. "No bootycall, just offering."

"Here I was, with my hopes up," Harry joked, fully kidding because the first time with Ben had left him feeling rather ashamed of himself when it came time for him to overthink.

"I mean, that offer is also on the table, but I was thinking more along the lines of enjoying the absence of my annoying family."

"Tempting."

Tempting enough to have Harry pulling in the driveway behind Ben outside of the empty home. Gunther nearly pummeled him to the floor upon stepping inside, once again, and Ben disappeared to let the dog outside while Harry lingered in the kitchen. He'd left the room dim, the only light coming from the fluorescent bulb over the sink.

Ben reentered without the massive dog trailing behind him, stopping to stand in the doorway. His eyes were glued to his phone, blue light illuminating his features in the dimness. "Do you want food or something to drink?" He glanced up, and flicked his wrist carelessly. "Fuck it, raid the fridge if you want something."

Harry kindly declined. The invitation was nice, but he was too shy to ever truly do it. "Where is everyone?"

"Dad's working, Anna is with her mother, Louis and Niall I don't know or care."

Harry nodded slowly, leaning his lower back against the edge of the counter. "So your dad is Niall's uncle, right?"

Ben nodded. "He calls him dad, but yes technically."

"Is he the one that owns the bar?"

Ben nodded again. "He owns a few." His phone was slid back into his pocket, and his voice rose an octave. "I know, my dad is pretty awesome."