Caspian X | The Promposal

Me and my best friend Emma were walking down the hallway at school, seeing prom posters everywhere we went. The prom was this Saturday and I really wanted to go, but I refused to go if I didn't have a date. Last year I went with Emma and her date, and although it was nice of them to let me come along, I was a little upset that my best friend had someone to go with and I didn't. I really hoped someone would ask me this time, specifically my crush Caspian. We were great friends, but I thought he saw me as just a friend, so I doubted he would ask me to go with him.

"Are you going to prom this year?" I asked Emma.

"Maybe," she replied. "If someone asks me."

"Me too," I said. "I doubt anyone will ask me though."

Just then, I bumped into someone. I looked up and saw Caspian. I could feel my face heating up and Emma just smiled at him.

"Hey Caspian," she said.

"Hey, Emma. Hi, Y/N." Caspian greeted with a kind smile.

"Hi," I said nervously.

"You girls ready for prom this weekend?" Caspian asked.

"Well...maybe. Sure," Emma replied. "If I get asked."

Caspian chuckled and looked at me.

"What about you, Y/N?"

"I don't know," I said a little awkwardly. "I don't have anybody to go with."

"Neither do I. Hey Emma, can you meet me at the coffee shop after school? I need help with our history assignment," said Caspian.

"Of course," said Emma. "I'll be there."

I started to feel little jealous and wondered why Caspian only asked Emma to help him. I was in that class too and actually helped Caspian with his work way more than Emma did.

On my way home after school, I passed the coffee shop and saw Caspian and Emma though the window. They were sitting together at a booth, smiling and laughing. I could feel the jealousy burning inside of me. I was also mad at Emma for hanging out with Caspian especially since she knew about my crush on him.

"Some kind of history project," I muttered and quickly walked away.

That night, I couldn't sleep. I kept trying to convince myself that Caspian and Emma weren't going to be more than friends, but I couldn't stop thinking about how much fun they seemed to be having at the cafe.

When I got to class the next day, I noticed that Emma was sitting at a desk right next to Caspian's in the back of the room, instead of her normal seat, next to my desk at the front. They were talking quietly, almost secretive, the entire class period and Caspian occasionally wrote things down in his notebook. Neither of them seemed to acknowledge me once; they never said hello to me or even looked at me. As soon as I got home from school, I flopped down on my bed and tried so hard to keep the tears from falling. I was pretty sure that Caspian and Emma had feelings for each other now, and that they were probably going to prom together. I also kept wondering what Caspian was writing in class today. A lot of possibilities came up in my head, such as places they wanted to go eat before prom or matching outfit ideas for him and Emma.

I guess I won't be going to prom this year, I thought.

I couldn't stop the tears from falling this time. I were completely hurt by the fact that Emma and Caspian were most likely going to prom together, and that Emma took Caspian from me when she knew I really liked him. I sobbed into my pillow, then eventually fell asleep.

It was dark outside by the time I woke up. I looked at the clock and realized I've slept for hours.

Might as well go to bed, I thought.

I got up to close the curtain, but when I happened to glance out my window, I saw bright lights in my yard spelling out something.

PROM?

I quickly headed downstairs and out to the front yard. As I got closer, I noticed there were rose petals all around the lights. I wondered who had done this and how they knew that I absolutely loved bright lights and roses. All of a sudden, Caspian appeared from behind a tree, holding a bouquet of roses. I jumped in surprise.

"Caspian!" I exclaimed.

"Hello Y/N," Caspian says, smiling.

I was completely stunned by how beautiful the setting looked and that Caspian was standing right there.

"What are you doing here? And what's this all about?" I asked.

"Emma told me you needed a date for the prom, so I decided to take you. I had her help me out with the promposal because I wanted to include all the things you love. She also told me that you have a crush on me?" Caspian asked with a smirk.

"Yeah," I said, looking at the ground. "I do."

"I like you too," said Caspian, and I looked up at him with a big smile on my face.

"So Y/N, will you light up my night at prom?" Caspian asked and held up the roses.

I giggled and took the roses.

"I would love to go to prom with you," I replied.

Caspian put his arms around me and kissed my forehead. I felt so lucky that I was going to prom with my crush, and that I had such a great best friend.