Chapter 54.

Darkness loomed...

She heard the familiar whispers she once had before her awakening...the whispers that tried to coax her to do evil biding... the bad whispers before the good ones came...

But this time... She couldn't make out what they were saying...

The whispers weren't speaking to her...

Rey woke up with a small jolt, finding herself still sleeping next to a naked Kylo Ren. The sun was still out, and she discovered they had only been sleeping for about an hour or so.

But as she rolled to face him beneath his heavy arm, she saw how uncomfortable he looked, worry and pain plaguing his gentle, sleeping features. His long, wide body was covered in sweat, his chest rising and falling with a big huff as his nightmare carried on.

Through their bond, Rey could feel how scared he was, and when she tried to peer into his mind, to fight these demons herself, she realized his mind was blocked off, as if his block was impaled right through their bond.

Worried, Rey reached to him, knowing she had helped him before, by calming his force with her own, by taking his dark and giving him the light that she harbored within herself.

The act was pure instinct.

But when her palm was nearly at his shoulder, his strong arm reached out, catching her wrist in a tight grip that made her gasp, her eyes going wide as Kylo shot awake, his breathing just as rough as hers.

Their eyes met, and for a moment, Rey thought he'd snarl at her.

Blinking a few times, Kylo slowly came back down from his nightmare, the slightest tension leaving his shoulders as he settled back down against the bed, his grip on Rey's wrist softening as he brought her hand to his chest.

Kylo's eyes closed as he focused on evening out his breathing.

"Don't do that." he warned.

Rey watched him, leaning on one hand. She tried again to press his mind with hers, but he refused.

"You... You seemed-"

"I don't want to talk about it." he muttered, eyes still closed.

Rey's breathing returned, though her heartbeat was still racing as she curled into his side, her head resting on his chest. His heartbeat matched hers.

"I've helped you before... It worked last time..." she whispered, hoping that he would just allow her to help him at least this one time.

"No." Was all she got in return.

Her stomach clenched with worry, knowing it was rare to see Kylo in such a state of distress. She wondered if maybe it was the city, maybe being back in the city that belonged to his family was triggering for him.

All she wanted to do was comfort him, to remind him that he wasn't alone.

After a few minutes of silence, Rey thought he might have fallen back to sleep from how still his body had gotten. When she glanced up towards his face, she found him staring at the ceiling, lost in a very deep thought.

Watching him, it occurred to Rey that it did not seem like he knew she was still there.

Rey moved up, settling her arm next to his head as she leaned over him, placing a soft, gentle hand to his face, tugging his gaze from the ceiling to her own. Her eyes searched his, trying to find answers, trying to find recognition.

"Hey... I'm here..." she whispered, pleading.

He just looked at her, emotionless.

Her brows furrowed. "What's the good?" she asked.