Chapter 3:Hotel Disaster

Nearby Jim Dear and Darling's little New England town was another family with a lot of dogs that was crossing the ocean on a large ship. They were Roger Radcliff, a famous musician, and Anita Radcliff. The two of them were famous enough due to Roger's music career, but they were also famous for owning a large dalmatian plantation in Britain. Like Jim Dear and Darling, Roger and Anita were also planning on sending some of their many dalmatian puppies to the dog show in New England. Roger and Anita, along with their cook Nanny brought Pongo and Perdita, who were their adult dogs, and five of their puppies aboard the ship for a weeklong trip to the states to participate in the show. When their ship finally stopped at the pier, the puppies cheered as they exited their cabin. The long journey to America was difficult, for it involved a cramped cabin and many days of seasickness, especially for the puppies. Perdita breathed a sigh of relief that the journey was finally over, and Pongo happily smiled at her. They were just as happy as the puppies to end the journey.

"Well, we're here!" Roger told Anita and Nanny. "We just have to walk a few blocks and then we'll settle in to our hotel." Roger told them.

"That's wonderful news, Rodge," Anita told him. Then she breathed in the fresh air and sighed, "My, this is a wonderful place!"

Roger and Anita walked Pongo, Perdita, and the puppies down the streets. From time to time, some dogs smiled at Pongo and Perdita and nodded respectfully, while others barked affectionately at them.

"I guess we're well known everywhere, Perdy," Pongo told Perdita, who nodded. The reason they were so famous among the canine community was that they led a daring rescue to save their puppies. The story of their epic journey crossed the ocean through the Twilight Bark, and their story became legend in a matter of weeks. Still, Pongo and Perdita were surprised on just how many admirers they had. Pongo and Perdita smiled back at their well-wishers, all the while keeping an eye out on their puppies during the walk to the hotel.

When they got to the hotel lobby, Pongo and Perdita decided to lie down on the soft carpet. Both Pongo and Perdita were very worn out from taking care of their puppies on the bumpy boat ride, and Nanny gave them each a piece of ham as Roger and Anita waited in line to check into the hotel room. But their puppies were not tired at all. On the contrary, they were restlessly scampering through the hotel lobby. Nanny had to keep a close eye on them while Roger and Anita were talking to he hotel receptionist.

Once they were done checking in, Roger and Anita walked Pongo, Perdita, and the puppies up to the hotel room and Roger excitedly told Anita, "Well Anita, it's time to see our room!" And he used the key and opened the hotel room's door. Anita gasped in surprise while Roger smiled. The hotel room was brightly lit, with a large window that had beautifully decorated curtains. Two double beds, a piano, and a television also were neatly placed throughout the room. Roger and Anita walked through the room, admiring it, and they unleashed their dogs, allowing them all to settle in. Pongo immediately asked Perdita, "Perdy, are you all right?"

Perdita jumped up on one of the beds, sighing, "Oh of course dear. But Pongo, I'm afraid this was a long journey for our children, I hope they're all right," looking concernedly at them.

"Oh don't worry Perdy, they'll settle in," Pongo told Perdita, following her up onto the bed and licking her face.

Roger and Anita meanwhile, had no such worries. Roger was very happy when he discovered the piano. He smiled broadly at Anita, saying, "Look! They even put a piano in here!"

"They must know you're a famous musician," Anita smiled. "This is like a dream come true, Rodge," Anita told him happily, and Roger twirled her in the air.

Pongo and Perdita smiled at how much Roger and Anita were enjoying the room. But then Pongo looked down at his puppies, and noticed that unfortunately, they were not as happy. Rolly, the chubbiest puppy, was moaning for food, lying down in front of his empty food dish on the floor and looking at it depressively. Cadpig, the smallest puppy, was aimlessly dashing through the room. Lucky, the survivor of the litter, was sitting with a spiritless expression on his face, Patch, a puppy with a black splotch over his eye was lying down, and Penny, a puppy with a few spots, was looking thoroughly fatigued. Once living in a bachelor flat, Pongo knew how they felt to be cramped, bored and dissatisfied. Stretching, he jumped off the bed and turned on the television to try to distract the kids. At once, Thunderbolt the Wonderdog appeared on the TV. The puppies all scampered over to the television and wagged their tails at it, watching their long time hero on television yet again. Pongo smiled with relief, seeing that his puppies were happy, at least for the short term. Then Pongo rejoined Perdita on the bed and together enjoyed themselves by watching their children.