Chapter 27:Family Feud

There was silence after Patch's decision. After a few seconds, Penny began to cry and she sighed, "Patch, I can't believe I'm not going to see you again!"

Puffball, who was standing next to Penny, just shook his head at Patch and opened his mouth. He then walked over to Patch, and shouted, "You little spoiled brat! Your family cares for you so much...and you're just staying with a couple of puppies you only met a couple days back!"

"You wouldn't understand," Patch told Puffball. "I know that my parents love us for being one of their children, but Scamp and Angel love me for who I am."

Pongo and Perdita whispered to each other. Then Perdita nodded. She and Pongo then whispered to Lady and Tramp. Then, at last, Pongo told Patch, "See you son."

And with that, the parents left the yard, with Puffball, Lucky, and Penny following them.

"They left us?" Scamp asked, confused.

"They can't be gone yet," Angel replied.

Angel was right. The parents and the puppies that stood with them stood outside the gate of the junkyard. "I don't understand," Lady cried softly. "Why are they this stubborn, anyway? Oh, I feel awful... what have I done wrong? They must hate me..."

"Don't worry, they don't hate you," Perdita told Lady consolingly. "They just don't know what it's like to be a parent and they don't realize how much we care about them."

"But I just want to keep them safe," Lady cried. "And bring them back to our loving home."

"Pidge, I don't know if we can do anything," Tramp sighed. "It looks like they really hate us. Maybe we should let them go."

Lady sighed. She could tell from Tramp's tone of voice that he had something else on his mind. "Tramp," she told him, looking at him seriously. "I... think you just don't want to tell them."

Tramp shook his head, and smiled. "You win," Tramp told Lady uncomfortably. "But... I don't want to talk about it. You see, er... I'm ashamed of some things I did in my past, and uh, Angel would never forgive me if I told her... I don't even know if I told you everything, Pidge, and I don't want my past to hurt you anymore."

"Tramp," Pongo told him. "You have to tell them your story. Otherwise, they would think that you're not sorry for what you did. If you don't tell them, they might never trust you again and they might just hate you forever."

Perdita looked at Lady worriedly. Lady opened her mouth, but then, she smiled at Tramp. "Tramp, you've proven that you're faithful to me for months now," she told him brightly. "And I... well, I'll stand with you no matter what you'll say."

Tramp told Lady, "Thanks Pigeon," and he felt a lot better.

"Lucky, Penny?" Pongo asked.

"Yes Father?" Lucky replied.

"Watch over the other puppies for us," Pongo told him. "And make sure they don't leave."

"Right," Lucky told Pongo, and he walked back into the yard. However, Penny did not follow Lucky in.

"You should watch over them too," Pongo told Penny.

"Oh, but... I don't know," Penny sighed. "I don't want to make Patch angrier at me."

"You're Patch's closest friend," Perdita reminded her. "If anyone could convince Patch to come home, it would be you. And if he comes home, he'll be appreciative that you encouraged him."

"Okay, but first, I think I should tell you what Patch and I were talking about before we ran away," Penny told Pongo and Perdita. "Maybe you two can understand some things about him."