Blank Canvas

Lena had always felt like an outsider, whether it was about being adopted, or her lack of flowers. Not that she never had them. She did! Right up to the age of twelve she had these pretty little violets on her knees and elbows. But then they disappeared, and they never grew again. When she asked her older brother, Lex, about it, he told her to worry less and just go play. Not that Lex was her actual brother. She was adopted when she was five years old and had always felt like her adoptive mother hadn't agreed with the deal. Lillian acted cold and distant, even plain mean sometimes. But she had a family, and that was worth something.

So, Lena was proud to call herself a Luthor. She did her best to bring her family honour, working hard in all of her classes, and trying to please everyone. When she was fifteen years old, she met Superman and her interest in astrophysics spiked. How was it possible for someone to have powers like Superman? How could he not have these powers on his home planet? Superman was impressed by her curious questions, answering them to the best of his abilities. Sadly, his knowledge was limited because he had never studied the science behind his powers.

After the fight that Lex had with Superman, Lena lost contact with both of them. In fact, she lost contact with most people. On the streets and in school, people would stop to yell at her. Sometimes they would even run after her to beat her up. So she did her best to be prepared for anything, wherever she went. She took MMA classes, studied the locations of all aggravated assault cases in the city to map her safest routes, and never mentioned her last name. Not that the last thing had much effect. Her family had been famous even before the big fight, so people recognised her wherever she went. There weren't many people that could see past her last name.

In addition to the reaction her last name coaxed out of people, she was extremely intelligent. This caused her peers to be intimidated. To try and make some friends, she tutored many of her classmates in high school, but it only caused them to view her as a nerd. So she gave up on making friends during her university studies, and when she took over her family's company she had forgotten what it felt like to be around people who genuinely liked her. Until her bodyguard started inviting her to activities.

A little bit about her bodyguard. She was a badass Latina woman, and before she became Lena's bodyguard she was in the FBI. She loved to do dangerous things, and pain was not something she was afraid of. So whenever Lena joined her on a trip, they'd both come home with at least a dozen bruises and often a gunshot or two. Lena didn't mind after the initial shock wore off.
She enjoyed spending time with Diaz and would call her a friend if she didn't pay Diaz to constantly be around her. The two women were as close as they could be.
Lena spoke freely about everything to Diaz, including her fear regarding her lack of flowers.

"I had flowers until I was twelve! After that, they just disappeared. Everyone I asked about it told me to be patient and wait it out, but I cannot help worrying. What if my soulmate is dead, and I am to be alone forever?" Lena spoke, handing Diaz a cup of coffee.

"Highly doubtful. Hey, at least yours is not a haemophiliac. I'm so covered in flowers, everyone keeps thinking I tattooed them on. I'm sure your soulmate has a condition that causes them not to scar anymore. I'm sure that exists. Besides, you won't be alone forever. You have me." Diaz placed her hand on Lena's shoulder.

"You're kind, Camilla. Remind me to get you an extra great Christmas present."

"I'll put it in your reminders. Now, shall we go up to the roof? The helicopter is ready for us to leave for the university." They walked up to the roof together, since Lena's office was on the top floor. Taking the elevator would be a waste of time. The helicopter blades were already spinning when they arrived.
The women stepped into the helicopter, right before the pilot pulled out a gun.

"Oh come on! Not again," Lena exclaimed.
Diaz pushed the pilot's hand right, causing the man to shoot Lena in her arm instead of her chest. With a quick move, Diaz pulled the man's arm over her knees and pushed down so hard it broke. Since the man had his seatbelt on, he didn't stand a chance and was tied up within minutes.

"Great, now I have to go to the hospital," Lena mumbled. She sat back in her chair.
Diaz flew them there quickly, snapping at the crying pilot. "You've never felt pain before? It's just a broken arm, mate. If you're a weenie you've gone into the wrong job field. Nevertheless, you will be fixed when we get to the hospital. I doubt you'll make it in jail with your arm like that." Diaz landed them on the hospital and helped Lena to the emergency room before dragging the pilot there too.

"You really should've seen this coming dummy. Even if I hadn't kicked your ass, Lena could have as well. I hope you live and learn. Or at least learn."