Happiness

Kara was sitting on her sister's couch, judging her outfit options when the large hyacinth bloomed on her left bicep. She watched as it grew in the pattern she was used to seeing. "Alex, guess who got another bullet wound?" she shouted, rubbing her arm as she waited for Alex to appear in her next outfit.
Alex walked in, her trusty black jeans and army green crop top on her body. She stepped in front of her full-length mirror, examining herself.

"Is it your soulmate again?" Kara nodded before realising Alex wasn't looking at her.
"Yup. God, I have no clue how to find her. You're so lucky you found yours," Kara grumbled.

Alex turned towards her little sister as she ran her hands through her hair.

"Relax! You have a better chance than most people. You have bullet wound flowers, and she has no flowers. It's super rare." Alex waited for Kara's ruling on the outfit.

"Too casual. You need a fancier outfit." Kara sent her sister back to the bedroom. "There should be some sort of technology that analysed the patterns and matched everyone to their soulmate. That way everyone could be happy and we wouldn't have trouble!" Kara gestured to the empty room.
"If that technology existed, your cousin and you would get picked out as superman and supergirl, and if there are any more aliens with the capabilities like yours they would be screwed as well." Alex replied.
Kara rolled her eyes, but only because her sister couldn't see her. She knew Alex was right. She stood by her point anyway.

"You and your soulmate are one of the two duos that don't both have flowers. It's not like it's mission impossible." Alex spoke, walking out in a green skater dress.

"Yet somehow I can't find them. This is great, you should wear this. Where are you leaving your phone, gun, and wallet though?" Kara asked.
Alex smiled, lifted her skirt slightly to show Kara the holster strapped to her leg. "If I promise to help you, will you stop whining about it?" She offered, dropping the skirt again.
"Deal. Okay, go have fun!" Kara tried to wave Alex out of her apartment.
"Wow, wow. Hold on, this is my place. And I'm not wearing shoes yet," Alex spoke, her hands up in front of her.
"Uh, oh. Right sorry. I'll leave with you," Kara decided. Then she glanced at the outfit again. "Converse high tops?" She suggested.

They agreed on that, and Kara left her sister's apartment feeling slightly better. On one side, she helped Alex and Alex was going to help her. On the other side, she was not really any closer to her soulmate than she was before. She decided to drop by the DEO's head office, to visit J'onn. He always knew how to comfort her. The love of his life was no longer here. He did have a soulmate on Earth. That soulmate left to return to Mars and lead the revolution against the White Martians, which was her alien race. Nevertheless, they were soulmates, and J'onn was in the longest long-distance relationship known on Earth. This meant that both Kara and J'onn were a bit unhappy with their soulmate situations, given that neither one of them could reach them. Whenever she came into his office without being asked to, he knew what was going on.

"Hey Miss Danvers." J'onn glanced up from his clipboard when she knocked on his glass office door.

"Hey, J'onn." She didn't have to tell him what she was thinking about. He placed his work inside one of the desk drawers, locked it, then focused his attention on her.
"Kara, why are you still worried?" He asked.
Kara sighed, leaning on the chair in front of her. "Because everyone I know has a soulmate they know! I want that happiness, you know? That look in their eyes they have when they're gazing into each other's eyes.." She stood up straight and crossed her arms.

"Kara, I know you are a bit of a romantic," J'onn started, a fatherly tone to his voice.
"But please remember to be realistic. You're still young, you still have time. And once you meet your soulmate, there is zero chance that you won't recognise her. Give it some time." He could see that he hadn't made much of a difference.
"Sit. Do you want something to drink?" He started his water boiler as Kara reluctantly sat down in the chair she was gripping.

"Uh... Okay." They exchanged a look, and Kara smiled carefully.
"Can I have hot chocolate?" She asked, making big hopeful eyes at him. He rolled his eyes.
"I'll get someone to bring you hot chocolate." He accepted her request.

Two minutes later, she was holding a large mug of hot cocoa like it was the middle of winter. "Kara, you are a lovely young woman. You will find your soulmate, and you'll be as happy as everyone else. But let's be realistic as well. Look at how busy you are, with your friends, your family... You have two jobs!" He lifted both his hands, palms upward.
"You're supergirl, Kara. And you're writing articles. You have a full life. Look at the great things you have." He wrapped his hands around his tea mug again, waiting for it to sink in.

"Oh.." Kara rubbed her forehead for a second, before looking at him again. "You're right. You're right very often, to be fair. I should look at what I have." She sighed. "I can't help but dream, though.."
"I understand that, Kara. You'll get them. I know you will."

With that message, Kara left the office again. She flew over National City to clear her head, enjoying the view of the tall buildings and green parks. Slowly, a realisation occurred to her. She landed on the next skyscraper, then pulled out her phone, calling her sister.

After two rings, Alex picked up. "Hey Kara, is something wrong? You know that I'm occupied right now." Kara could hear someone's voice in the background, asking why she was calling.
"No no, nothing's wrong. I just had a realisation that might help you help me, with the soulmate thing." An audible sigh came from the other side of the line.
"Okay. What is it?"Alex asked. Kara gazed at the skyline, noting all the hospitals that existed in the city.
"Every time I get another bullet wound flower, we should check hospital records. I can ask Winn to get into the records!"

"Kara... If that's what you want to do to find your soulmate, I will get on that. But not now, okay?" The resignation was strong in Alex's voice.

"Okay. Have fun on your date, text me when you get home." Kara hung up, her heart a little lighter as she sat down on the edge of the building. She'd get there. She'll meet them.