Puzzle Pieces

Camilla had done her research on Alex. At least, to the extent of the FBI database. All she had found was that Alex was a model citizen and that she had an impressive record of alien takedowns. Her father had died on a mission for the DEO, and yet Alex followed in his footsteps. All in all, Camilla had to admit that the woman was impressive. However, she wasn't checking out Alex's record to be impressed by her, no. She was trying to figure out what had changed. Camilla thought back to the moment.

She'd brought Maggie to the hospital wing, to explain why Lena wasn't hiring her in person. She told Maggie why they needed to find that woman, and she introduced Maggie to Alex. Maggie's body language had told her that she was taken aback by the situation, but there were no signs for concern.

Camilla leaned back in Lena's -for now her, chair. She repeated the memory in her mind, twirling a pen between her fingers. Alex had been tense when they walked through the door. However, when Camilla had said the word 'soulmate' Alex's fingers had twitched. Camilla stood up from the chair and started walking back and forth in front of the glass wall. The workers had done an excellent job, even the balcony was back to normal.

By the time that Camilla and Maggie entered the hospital wing, Alex must have finished her first analysis of Lena's wounds. This meant that Alex had noticed Lena's significant lack of flower scars. And, of course, she would know that Lena's soulmate would show a rather large amount of flowers at the moment. Those two things could be crucial hints to Lena's soulmate. Since Alex had not seen the folder Camilla gave Maggie, there was no way that Alex had seen the image Maggie was using to find the woman. Which meant that she had used Lena's lack of flower scars, and her abundance of wounds, to figure it out.

Camilla came to a stop and stared outside, over the balcony. Either Alex knew Lena's soulmate, or she was upset about something else. Those were the two theories.

She considered stepping out onto the balcony to get some fresh air. After the attack last week, she avoided being in the office as much as possible. She'd scheduled every meeting with Mira in Mira's office, and every other appointment had taken place in one of their conference rooms. This morning, she knew it was time to return. She had to acknowledge her fear and move past it, which meant that she had to take Lena's place.

Her hand was trembling, but she unlocked the balcony door and stepped outside. As she peered over the railing, all her problems seemed to take a step back. Just for a moment. She watched the birds fly by as she thought about the way she had handled things. It could have gone so differently if she panicked, instead of immediately getting Lena to their private hospital wing. If she hadn't called Mira into the wing, she would be running the damn company by herself. And Camilla did not know enough to be a CEO.

The information she'd given to the employees could have been too much, or too little, and they all could have panicked. She sighed, tapping her rings on the railing of the balcony. Lena will recover, she thought. I won't be in this position forever.

"So, Danvers," Maggie started as she walked into their little break room.

Since they were both technically hired by Camilla, they didn't have access to the normal cafeteria. Not that either one of them considered that an issue. From what Alex heard, the coffee in Camilla's break room was significantly better.

"What's your deal? Why are you both an agent and a doctor?" Maggie kept her eyes on the coffee she was pouring. "Did you have to work extra hard to impress your parents or something?" She raised her claimed mug to her lips as she looked at Alex.

Alex stabbed her salad with a little extra strength as she made eye contact with the hacker. "My parents were fine, thank you very much."

Maggie eyed Alex's food, then set down her mug. Time for a peace offering, she thought. She poured another cup of coffee. "How do you take your coffee?"

"Black."

Maggie couldn't help but smirk, of course, a woman like Alex took her coffee black. She made her way over to the table and set one of the mugs down in front of Alex. "So what caused you to become the ultimate overachiever in life if it wasn't your parents?" She sat down in the opposing chair and pulled her lunch out of her bag.

Alex pulled the coffee closer and eyed Maggie for a few seconds. "It wasn't my original plan," she said. "I started out just studying to be a doctor, but I was recruited by the agency for my-" she thought about the best way to phrase it. "-my talents. So what about you, Sawyer, you don't look like the standard hacker."

Maggie put down her fork, though her stomach protested. "What do you know about hackers?" she asked.

Kara sighed, staring at her tablet. Miss Grant had returned from her private trip with a horrifying mood, and of course, she was on the receiving end of it. After rescheduling at least twenty of her appointments, and dealing with Miss Grant's questions about her extra flowers, she finally had some peace. She texted Winn, Alex, and Reyna. Due to her spending most of her time off at the cafe, she and Reyna passed the customer-server barrier and had moved on to officially being friends. And they both needed an extra friend.

"Heard anything from your internship yet?" she sent.

"Nope. All I know is that the medical emergency hasn't been solved. And I'm bored out of my mind without you here! Shame that your boss came back so soon." Kara smiled at the sweet message. "Did you hear anything from your university at least? And I miss you too :)"

"Yeah, they're going to count the hours and let me continue my internship as soon as possible. That way I won't have to redo the entire thing. How's work?"

Then, another notification caught her eye. Winn had sent her a link to a blog, with the message "check this out! Someone's been doing our work for us!"

Kara eyed the link as another message appeared. "But, you know, legally."

She clicked the link, which took her to an article labelled "Supergirl soulmate theories" written by SaraAnikaK97. She scanned the article. Since her suit covered most of her body, she was curious to see how someone would still manage to come to a concrete hypothesis.

The article provided her with several images of the flowers on her neck, her hands, and in her hairline. SaraAnikaK97's current theory was that Supergirl's soulmate was a dangerous criminal. Kara thought about that for a moment. There was no real proof of this person being wrong. However, there was no proof of her being right. With a dull ache in her heart, she closed the tab. She knew it wasn't logical for this blogger to have the answer, but she'd hoped. She always did.

A/N

So what do you guys think, what'll happen next? SaraAnika97 is a faithful reader on my story on AO3 so I decided I'd honour them by having them appear in the fic. 

Love,

Freckles