Signs

Alex felt her mind overheat itself, like a laptop on a hot summer day. All she could think about was the fact that she could bring Kara her soulmate. Or, rather, bring Kara to her soulmate. However, she was sworn to secrecy. She had promised Camilla. Alex glanced at Maggie, who was discussing the details of her work with Camilla. All she had to do was tell them. Tell them her little sister had no wounds. Let them know that her little sister was covered in flowers. She let her eyes glaze over as she ran the scenario through her mind. She would tell them. They would inevitably ask why her sister never had any wounds. Kara's secret would no longer be a secret, Alex would have shared it with two strangers.

"Hey Danvers, you okay?" The world came back into focus when Maggie asked Alex a question. Alex blinked a few times and ran a hand through her hair.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She turned her attention back to the screen. The data from the original analysis of Lena's wounds provided by the hospital was shallow, which was to be expected. Here, Alex could take all the time she needed to fully analyse her patient. Her only patient. If she could get rid of the voice inside her head telling her to speak up.

Camilla noted the change in Alex's body language when Maggie spoke to her. Something was off. The tensed muscles in Alex's back told her that Alex was on edge. A possible problem. She decided to figure it out later when Maggie wasn't watching and she didn't feel like the weight of the entire company was on her shoulders.

After finishing her conversation with Maggie, Camilla returned to Lena's office. They had been quick to repair all the damage that had been done to the building. If Camilla hadn't been there, she would never believe that someone shot a rocket at the room. She stood still. It felt too empty, too quiet. Camilla didn't want to be there, not without Lena. Everyone expected her to be this pillar of strength, to help the company through these tough times. But she never signed up for that. She touched her right hand to her broken wrist. Then she sat down in Lena's chair and logged into the computer. She would be strong, for Lena. After all, this was the only way she could protect her now. By protecting the company.

Kara sat on her couch in her favourite sweats. She watched an episode of The Good Place as she ate a chocolate croissant. Miss Grant had left the country for a few days, some secret business deal. The secrecy was the only reason why Kara was not currently acting as her assistant. She had a few days off. Kara sighed and checked her phone. On any other day, she would have loved some free time. But with Alex at this new job, and Winn working at the DEO all day, she missed her friends. Her mind went back to the game of mini-golf they had played a few weeks ago.

She had been an awful player, which they all expected. With her strength, she could send the golf ball to the moon, not over a small ledge. Alex had too much target practice, she beat both Kara and Winn by miles. Winn bought them all ice cream afterwards, and Kara hadn't felt that happy and free in a while.

Kara tossed her phone onto her couch and stretched out her arms. She wasn't going to stay there feeling sorry for herself all day. After stretching her legs, and devouring the second chocolate croissant, she got dressed.

The fresh air helped push her worries aside and she smiled brightly against the grey sky. Her favourite cafe was just around the corner, and she knew that her favourite seat would be free, given that it was a Wednesday morning.

"Hey Reyna," Kara greeted the barista when she walked into the cafe. She placed her hands on the counter and glanced up at the menu before she realised that something was off.

"Hey, how come you're here?"

Reyna raised an eyebrow but smiled. "Well, I work here. How come you're here?" Reyna turned the question to her.

"I have a few days off, Miss Grant is out of the country for a private matter. But you said you had an internship? Where did that go?" Kara eyed the muffins behind the display. There was no reason for her not to buy one. Alex wasn't with her to steal a piece when she wasn't looking. "Can I have a latte macchiato and..."

"You'll love the double chocolate chip muffins," Reyna suggested, pointing at them. She worked the Monday and Friday morning shifts, so she knew exactly what Kara liked.

"And one of those, please." Kara rummaged through her purse to find her wallet. "But you haven't answered my questions. What's up with your internship?" She pulled her wallet out and held it up like it was a trophy.

"I received an email that there was a medical emergency, so for the time being, my internship has been put on hold." Reyna rang up Kara's order. "The company will meet with my tutor to figure out what to do next, so I won't have to re-start. But it's been weird." She started on Kara's drink, knowing that Kara would stay to listen to her story. Reyna always appreciated Kara for being so genuine. "I've been working here during the hours that I would be at my internship, which is fine, I like this job."

She let her hands work on auto-pilot. After three years as a barista, she could make most drinks in her sleep. Though adding caffeine to sleep was not a good plan.

"But now I feel like I'm wasting my time here. I'm not learning anything new." She turned back to Kara with her finished drink.

"That's understandable. Do you think you'll hear back from your internship soon?"

"I doubt it. Medical emergencies aren't generally solved that fast. I'll hear from my tutor soon, that's for sure. Here you go!" She handed Kara her mug and her muffin.

"Well, I'll hope for you," Kara replied. She looked around the cafe to see if her favourite table was available. Of course, it was, she'd shown up during one of the quietest hours.

Kara sipped her coffee, careful not to spill it over the worn pages of her favourite book. When nothing could keep her mind occupied, this could. Every time someone walked into the cafe, she glanced up. She observed Reyna as she made drinks and handed out pastries. It was strange that her internship would be put on hold like that. Then again, Kara didn't know anything about how the science world worked. A calm sensation settled in her chest, spreading warmth as the sun shone on her book. Maybe all she needed was these few days off. She could lose the scary thoughts whispering in the back of her mind, and start to hope that everything would be okay again. That's what she always did. And that's what she would do again.

A/N

What's up y'all, I took a break from Supercorp to write a bunch of Arrowverse one shots. If you like femslash, please check them out.
What do you think? Will Maggie figure it out? Will Alex break her promise? Or will Camilla put it all together?
Love,

Freckles