Chapter 6 | "An angel in the darkest disguise"

Setting: Doctor Linda's Office

Chloe walked in through the door.

Linda perked up, not expecting to see her. "Chloe?"

"Hi. I um, wanted to ask you a quick—question." Chloe said hastily.

"Okay."

"Do you know Lucifer is The Devil?" Chloe started to shiver slightly.

Linda looked her in the eyes. "Yes. I have for a long time."

"Oh... and you don't seem to—care?"

"Chloe you don't realize, Lucifer still cares about you." Linda told her. "A lot more than you think."

"But he's—he's.." Chloe's blue eyes started to fill with tears.

"You have to come back to him, Chloe. He's heartbroken."

"Why—because I—I left him?" The detective sniffed.

"Yes!"

Chloe straightened up. "You know—there were so many things about Lucifer—that—that never made any sense to me, and now—its like—I couldn't know him any more than I do now." Chloe looked down at her feet. "I just—it's hard."

"It's better The Devil you know, than The Devil you don't." Linda told her.

"What does that—mean?"

"You have to accept who Lucifer is, and be happy you know who he is. Just like I did." Linda's brown eyes met Chloe's sky blue ones. "You are special, Chloe."

Chloe shook her head, "how am I special?"

"You are the one person who Lucifer truly cares about." Linda said. "You gave The Devil a heart. That is something impossible, only the most special of people are capable of doing." 

Chloe nodded.

"And now he's broken because you left him for who he is."

Chloe glanced around the room, "I'm—I'm sorry I—I didn't know I made him feel this way."

"Save the apologies for him. He'll appreciate it."

Chloe looked out the window then back at Linda. "I know— It's just—he's The Devil, you know? And it's—it's difficult."

"I know he seems terrifying, but Lucifer is a true angel, Chloe. An angel in the darkest disguise." Linda explained to her.

Chloe nodded again. "Okay." She said softly, and walked out of the door.

Setting:Lucifer's Penthouse

Lucifer poured himself a drink, and walked out into the balcony. "You've ruined everything. Have you realized that yet?" He stared up at the sky. "Of course you haven't. You don't care about your son, do you?" He took a sip from his glass and rolled his eyes.

The elevator made a ding.

Lucifer expected his brother to have Cain. "Bring him in Amenadiel, I'm ready."

"Lucifer..."

The Devil immediately recognized this voice. "Detective?" He turned around.

Chloe stood from the elevator, staring down at the floor. "I am so sorry I did this to you."

Lucifer stared at her in disbelief, "you said we were done."

"I know, but—I had a little chat with Linda and... I have to make this right."

"You don't have to apologize, detective."

"Yes, I do. I had no idea how I made you feel, and I'm sorry. I really am."

Lucifer nodded.

Chloe walked over to the table and poured herself a drink. "It's better The Devil I know than The Devil I don't." She smiled at him.

Lucifer cocked his head in puzzlement, but couldn't keep from smiling at her too.

Chloe walked over to the balcony where Lucifer was standing. She lifted her glass up to him, "Cheers?"

Lucifer touched his glass to Chloe's, "Cheers."

They both took a sip, and smiled at each other.

Suddenly Lucifer felt something sprout from his back. "Oh BLOODY HELL DAD!"

Chloe was whooshed out of the balcony from the wind Lucifer's wings created.

"CHLOE!" Lucifer jumped out from the balcony after her. His heart raced in panic.

"GRAB MY HAND!"

Chloe reached her arm out to him.

For one of the first times in eternity Lucifer's dark eyes started to tear up. He couldn't hardly breathe and his heart felt like it was going to pound its way out of his chest. He couldn't lose her. Not today, not ever. 

Chloe helplessly fell farther down. 

"Chloe...please...don't...leave me.." He shut his eyes, he didn't want to witness her death.

Suddenly Lucifer felt something grab his hand tightly. He looked down to see Chloe's hand latched on to his. He let out a sigh of relief and started to fly back up.

He then felt Chloe slip from his grasp. "No! Chloe..." He grabbed her hand tighter afraid of dropping her.

"LUCIFER PLEASE DON'T—"

"I GOT YOU DETECTIVE!" He grabbed her arm with his other hand, and managed to wrap his arms around her. "I—saved you..." He was impressed and relieved over what he had done. He flew back up to his penthouse with her in his arms. He set her down on the balcony and sweeped away the broken glass with his feathers.

Chloe sat down on the balcony floor, breathing heavily. "Lucifer—thank you for saving my life..." She looked up at him, and then at his wings. "You really are an—angel?"

Lucifer nodded and smiled at her.

Chloe stood up and walked over to him. She stared at his pearly white wings in awe. "They—they're beautiful." She put out her hand wanting to touch his wing, but then hesitated.

"It's alright, detective. I don't mind."

Chloe smiled at him and carefully laid her hand on the fallen angel's wing. The warmth from the soft white feathers felt like she was touching a bird. They were real. 

He folded his wings, causing Chloe to jump slightly. "Woah."

Lucifer smirked at her.

They both stared at the night sky. Lucifer scowled at his dad, then smiled at Chloe.