Chapter 15 | "Soulmates"

Note: this chapter is a bit short and kinda emotional but I hope y'all like it anyway

Setting: hospital

Lucifer gazed at Chloe though the door window of the room, listening to the slow beeps.

Linda stood next to him.

"I... I couldn't save her.." The Devil looked down at his feet. "And... there's nothing I can do."

"I'm sure she'll live, Lucifer." The therapist reassured him.

"What If she doesn't?"

Linda said nothing, seeming to realize Lucifer's distress.

"I—I'll see you later, Doctor." Lucifer walked out of the hospital. 

Setting: Lucifer's Penthouse

Amenadiel walked in from the elevator to see Lucifer playing his piano with a drink on the top if it. "Are you ready to talk about this, Luci?"

Lucifer took his hands off of the keys and glanced at his brother, then grabbed the drink sitting on the piano.

"I take that as a no."

The Devil remained silent, and took a sip from his glass.

"Why won't you talk to me, Lucifer?" The angel walked over to him. 

Lucifer still refused to speak, and set the glass down.

"Lucifer, come on. I know you're scared for Chloe's life but I need to know why."

"She was shot." Lucifer finally managed to say.

"What? Who shot her?"

"Don't know, but I do know Dad is behind it." The Devil stood up.

"Is this about the 'father will punish me on earth'?" Amenadiel narrowed his eyes in suspicion.

"By harming the detective, yes." Lucifer nodded, his eyes suddenly shining with rage. "Dad did this to her. God did this! The one person every human bloody worships! I just—I wish I could just—punish him." 

"I'm really sorry, Lucifer. I didn't know she mean't this much to you."

They stood there in silence for a moment.

"You'll never know what it's like to have your soulmate's life on the line." Lucifer scoffed with slight sadness in his voice.

"Soulmate?" Amenadiel seemed surprised by this.

"Yes, brother. Chloe... and I are....or were... soulmates..." 

Amenadiel raised his eyebrows, shocked to hear his brother say 'Chloe' instead of 'detective.' "I'm.. I'm sorry, Luci."

Lucifer shook his head as tears slowly formed in his dark tenebrous eyes. "D-don't be sorry."

The angel nodded, not wanting to see his brother so upset again. "I'll... i'll go." He disappeared into the elevator.

Lucifer took a deep breath and wiped his eyes. "Don't cry again. The Devil doesn't cry." He muttered to himself regretfully, then gulped down an entire glass of alcohol.

A few hours later

Setting: Lux

Lucifer stood at the top of the staircase and watched jealously as everyone partied, wishing he was in the mood to do the same.

Just then Maze walked up the stairs toward him, noticing he wasn't joining in. "Why's the club owner so down?"

"I'm—im not down. Why would you think that?" Lucifer asked her, trying not to act suspicious.

"Is something bothering you?" Maze seemed to see the hurt in his eyes.

"No, I'm fine, thanks." Lucifer shifted his eyes away from her, attemping to keep her from noticing the sadness within them.

"What are you hiding?" The demon raised an eyebrow.

"Nothing. I'm fine, honestly." The Devil tried his best to drag Maze's attention off of his feelings.

Maze nodded, still giving him a look of puzzlement. "Are you sure? Lucifer Morningstar never just stands around in his own club."

"I SAID IM FINE!" Lucifer lashed out at her furiously, his eyes turning red for a split second.

The demon flinched slightly, not expecting this reaction.

Lucifer suddenly realized what he had done. "I'm.. I'm sorry I—"

"Don't apologize. I deserved that." 

"Wait—Maze—"

She walked away from him.

Lucifer sighed and watched as Maze walked away. "I... I've really screwed up.."

Setting: Lucifer's Penthouse

Lucifer poured himself a drink and sat on the couch just as his phone rang. It was Linda. "H-hello, Doctor. If I missed another session, I'm terribly sorry."

"No, don't be. I'm not calling you for that. It's about Chloe... She—"

"D-don't say it." Lucifer looked down. "Just—just don't say it."

"...She's awake, Lucifer."

The Devil's eyes immediately went wide and his heart sped up. "Really?" He stood up.

"Yes!" 

Without hesitation Lucifer hung up and raced into the elevator.

Setting: hospital

Lucifer rushed into the room as he saw Chloe lying on the bed talking to Linda and Dan.

"D-detective?" Lucifer walked over to her.

Chloe turned her head toward him. "Hi Lucifer."

Lucifer was more than happy to see Chloe's beautiful blue eyes open once again. "You—you didn't leave me." He smiled at her.

"You didn't leave me, so I  returned the favor." Chloe smiled at him.

Lucifer nodded, still smiling at her.