15: Lillianna

"We need to get out of here before we see Nyx." I said while inching forward. "How did you survive so long down here?" Jake asked. "At first I was about to die because of monster attacks and the air but I came up with a solution. I made a water bubble around my head, and well, went into my frenzy to keep up energy." I explained. "What about when you were following the monsters?" Jake asked. "I was hardly my normal self I was half dead the whole time." I replied. "How did you survive?" I questioned. "Well Lucas made me a breathing mask but I kind of abandoned it when I jumped in the fight. I also was following the fire river for a long time." Jake explained. "It's called the River Phlegethon." I corrected and Jake laughed. "Right." He said while hit his arm to quite his laugh.
   "Where are we even going?" Jake asked. "I can feel the trident's energy, so I'm following it." I replied. I felt a tug to the left so I turned while Jake followed slightly behind me. "How are we supposed to free the trident if we can't even see?" I complained while making a few turns. "Well I would assume the chains are made of darkness. So couldn't you control it?" Jake replied. "Nyx's darkness is different, I have hard time controlling it and most of the time I can't." I explained and Jake sighed. "Maybe water will give the trident enough energy to burst out of the darkness?" Jake said. "Maybe." I agreed.
   I continued to walk forward and the energy was getting much stronger. "I can feel it too now." Jake whispered. "We must be close then." I replied. Suddenly I felt extremely dizzy and I would've collapsed if it hadn't been for Lucas' machine. I grabbed Jake's arm for support but I the dizziness didn't go away. "What's wrong?" Jake asked with the worry evident in his voice. "I don't know, I think I'm dying." I replied and this time the machine wasn't enough to keep me upright. I fell towards Jake who caught me before I hit the ground. I heard clanking of glass and a grunt of pain. "Drink this." Jake said while holding a jar against my chin. I opened my mouth and Jake let the contents of the jar to flow into my mouth. I jumped up as I realized what I drank. "Horrid absolutely horrendous." I whispered and Jake gave a small chuckle.
   "You should probably use your water bubble again." Jake said. "I can't. If I could I would've done it by now. I don't have the strength to keep it up if I'm not in my frenzy." I replied. "That's not good, we only have a jar and a half left." Jake said. "I'm going to need to drink the half jar soon." Jake added. "So basically what you're saying is if something happens we only have one jar left?" I asked. "Yeah." Jake responded as we continued walking. "I wonder if the trident has healing powers." I mumbled. "Lily! Don't even think about using your dad's trident, who knows what will happen." Jake scolded. "Jeez calm down, just an idea." I said. "Sorry, I just don't want anything to happen to you." Jake replied and his grip on my hand tightened.
   We continued heading towards the energy. "I think this is room." I said as I felt the hallway open up. "Do you think the trident is in here?" Jake asked. "Must be." I replied.
I inched around the room, feeling my way around. I heard Jake scream in the middle of the room. "Jake!" I yelled and ran over as fast as I could with machine legs and my eyes closed. "I'm fine just burned, well more than usual." Jake explained and I breathed a sigh of relief while Jake drank the half jar of fire.
   "What happened?" I asked. "Well I almost tripped over some rocks so I bent to feel it and the rocks burned me." Jake replied. Rocks? But this whole place is darkness, how could there be rocks? Maybe the rocks are made of darkness? I felt something warm on my lips but it wasn't the normal burning. I was tempted to open my eyes but I didn't. My arm instinctively went up and I felt Jake's chest. Oh, that explains. He pulled back as lowered my hand. "What was that for?" I asked. "You weren't answering." Jake replied and I almost laughed. "Sorry I was just thinking about the rocks." I explained and as soon as I came out of my mouth I knew it sounded so random if someone was to hear that outside of this place. Jake and I both burst out laughing at what I said which kind of surprised me considering our situation.
   "So come up with anything?" Jake asked after we managed to stop laughing. "I was thinking since everything is made out of darkness in this place then maybe the rocks would too." I answered. Then it struck me. "My gods I'm so stupid!" I whisper yelled. "You're not stupid Ocean Girl, you're one of the smartest people I know." Jake replied and my heart melted. Nope! I have to concentrate. "How could I not see this before?" I asked myself out loud. "See what?" Jake questioned. "Unless the trident is hanging from the ceiling or walls then it needs something else to hold it besides the chains. I would imagine the trident sticking out of some rocks with chains wrapped around those." I explained and Jake gasped. "That's absolutely brilliant!" Jake exclaimed and hugged me.
   "I'm going to try and retrieve the trident, get the fire ready." I said and Jake gave me a squeeze. I inched forward so that I was right in front of the rocks. I focused on darkness and willed if not to burn me as I placed my hands on the rocks. I let out a demeaning shriek as I jerked my hands upwards. "Lily!" Jake yelled. "I'm fine." I said through gritted teeth. "I have an idea!" Jake exclaimed. "What?" I asked. "Well since your legs are covered in metal it shouldn't burn. Also you can use Riptide and my spear as climbing claws." Jake explained. "That's the best idea ever!" Was all I could say as Jake handed me his spear. I uncapped Riptide and it turned to its sword form
   Placing the weapons in the rocks I edged upwards. The energy from the trident got even stronger. Suddenly Jake's spear wouldn't go into the rocks. It must be a chain! I let out a shriek of joy. "Lily! Are you ok?" Jake yelled. "Yeah I'm amazing! I found one of the chains!" I yelled and Jake chuckled. "Gods Lily, I thought something happened to you." Jake said. "Sorry. Now leave me alone I have to concentrate." I replied.
   I focused on the darkness making it as weak as I could. I kept the spear in the rocks as support as I raised Riptide. I struck the chain as I hard as I could and it shattered. One down! And who knows how many more to go. I continued upwards until I ran into something. I placed the spear in the crook of my neck and reached my hand forward. My hand wrapped around the handle of the trident! "Oh my gods! I found the trident!" I exclaimed and Jake didn't reply, probably because he had no words.
  I took my hand away from the trident and grabbed Jake's spear. I raised it up feeling for chains. Two more. I focused on the darkness and struck both of the chains at the same time with Riptide. They shattered and the trident's energy intensified. "So that's why they stole it." I said. "What do you mean?" Jake asked. "The chains were stealing the energy of the trident. They need the energy of a powerful weapon for something. That's why they tried to steal that ancient weapon." I explained. "I bet we interrupted the full transfer of the power but I don't think they even need it because if that was the case then the trident would be powerless right now." I continued. Wait, it can't be! No! "No, they left power in the trident on purpose! This was all a trap!" I yelled. They didn't want anyone to come down here with me because then it would be harder to kill me.
  "Clever little demigod." I heard Nyx's voice echo through the room. "Jake catch!" I yelled and tossed his spear. I heard it thud on the floor followed by the scraping of Jake picking it up. I jerked the trident out of the rocks and pointed Riptide in the direction of where I heard Nyx's voice. "Catch me if you can!" Nyx hissed and I changed the position of my sword. "Nice try." She said and I turned. "Over here!" She teased right next to my ear. I swung my sword but it didn't hit anything. "Too late." Nyx said as she knocked Riptide out of my hand.
  I need to get out of here. "Don't even think about shadow traveling!" Jake scolded as if he knew what I was thinking. "Don't try to do that you won't be able too." Nyx said. I tried to draw strength from the trident but it wasn't working. I guess Nyx drained too much energy. Does have it enough for a storm or something? It's worth a shot. As soon as I tried using the trident I felt like I was being drained. I should've know it's too weak to operate by itself. "Jake I have a plan." I yelled with my voice croaking and Nyx laughed. "If I die-" I started to say but failed to finish. I heard Jake's spear drop on the floor.
   I started using the tridents power again. The room started to shake as I jumped off the rocks and landed in front of Jake. "Run!" I whispered as I grabbed Jake's arm dragging him along. Water burst into the room. Jake and I barely managed to escape the mansion as it was flooded but we had to leave everything behind. I opened my eyes and Jake's eyes were puffy. "I was so scared something was going to happen to you." Jake said and I could see the tear stains on his face. "Don't be relieved yet." I wheezed as I collapsed into Jake's arm.
   "Lily!" Jake yelled and I squeezed his arm. "Save the world for me." I whispered as my grip on his arm slackened. "No! Ocean Girl! Don't leave me!" Jake yelled the tears falling down his face again. "I'm sorry." I said and everything went black.
    Why! Why did this have to happen? I thought all hope was lost when her stopped beating and she wasn't breathing anymore. Wait, maybe it's like those other times. I strapped the trident and my spear to my back and made sure they were secure. I picked Lily up and started to follow my trail. After a minute or two Lily's pulse has returned which brought me some hope. What worried me though is that I didn't have any nectar, ambrosia, or water. After a long time I reached the River Phlegethon. I think that's what Lily said anyway.
Fiona
  I can't believe it Lily died. I just can't believe it, she's too strong to die. She can't be dead. "Fiona, snap out of it!" Emma yelled with tears streaming down her face. "She can't be dead Jillianna was supposed persevere through Tartarus." Nadia whispered while Skylar rubbed her back. "How can you be so calm about this?" Max asked Skylar and I with watery eyes. "I guess I'm used to death." Skylar replied her face completely dead of emotion just like me. I gave a nod but on the inside I was in huge pain and denial.
  Wait, is that Lily's soul? It's in a limbo state, not dead or alive. Is she trying to escape? "Fiona what's going on there's gems all around you?" Lucas asked. "Lily she's not dead, she's in some limbo state." I muttered and everyone perked up. "Guys! How could we  forget? Remember when Lily is about to die her heart stops and she stops breathing and that's when her soul goes to some test area, and if Lily passes she doesn't die." Emma said. "Well let's hope she passes them." I replied. "But normally to succeed she needs water poured on her and they're in Tartarus." Skylar said. "Maybe fire from the River Phlegethon will be enough for now." I replied and everyone nodded. "Well I'm going back to my dad's." I said as I stood up. "No you don't!" Nadia replied and dragged me back into my seat.