Six

SEVEN HOURS UNTIL CLOSING

Lieutenant Carter:

I sit in my chair as I try to make sense of what just happened.

This guy is something else. Who is he?

Tanner is at the blueprints again, trying to find a weak spot for us to get in.

He has us on the ropes. But how? He knew our moves before we made them, it's like this is a game to him.

I tap my pen on the table as I think.

"Tanner?"

"Sir?"

"Is it possible that we can shut down the electricity in the building from the outside?"

He looks over the layout diligently.

"There is a power switch but it's on the side of the building, he'd see us coming before we can even touch it."

I stand up as an idea hits me.

"Not if he's distracted."

"What do you mean?"

"Get a handful of your guys to drop on the roof, when they are busy fighting them off, I'll coordinate a man to shut off the power."

"I don't like putting my guys in the line of fire on purpose Eugene."

"Good point."

We both think quietly.

We have to get his eyes off of those cameras, but how? Maybe slip a unit in as a food delivery person? Maybe a medic? I can use the explosion as an excuse to get a few in there. It's a long shot though.

I quickly sit down and make the call. The phone rings as I wait.

"Tanner, get a few medical units to go inside."

"Sir? Are you sure? We'd be putting them in danger."

"I know so your going with them. Go get into an extra outfit and get me eyes inside. Figure out how many perps  we are dealing with."

He nods and quickly leave the tent. The phone rings two more times before he picks up.

"Hello Lieutenant."  Theres a bit a of cockiness when he says this.

"Look I'm done beating around the bush. In ten minutes I'm sending in a small medical unit to check on the hostages. We know you have at least 15 since most of them are workers there."

"I-I can't let you do that."

He stuttered. I caught him off guard.

"I don't care. They're going to walk up to the front door in ten. It's not up for discussion."

"No! If you come close to the building you know what I'll do."

All of this is just a power play...

I sit quietly for a bit thinking. After a bit, I take a deep breath.