Ten

NINE HOURS UNTIL OPENING

Lieutenant Carter:

I slowly pull into my barely lit driveway and park the car.

Such a long day.

An hour after I made the call, another hiest member called and told me Ran was put under watch for suggesting my order to let three hostages go. Since it's a new person on the phone, I'll have to start over and gain this person's trust now.

Back at square one.

I shut off the engine of my squad car and get out. I lock it up and walk into my house as I check my phone.

Text from Tanner, medical team just released him and Len, that's good.

I go into the house and close the door. I then hang my keys up and walk to the kitchen.

Sooo hungry.

I open the fridge and as expected, barely have any food.

"Great, forgot to go shopping again. "

"Too bad Lieutenant."

Instincts kick in as I spin on my heel and draw my gun at the stranger. He sits at the table, reading a newspaper while drinking something from one of my coffee mugs.

"Easy Eugene, I'm on your side here."

I point my gun at his head. He doesnt even look up from his paper.

"Who are you?"

He sets the newspaper down and takes another sip.

"I'm a PI. See one of those robbers stole some information from me and I need it back. "

I holster my gun and sit at the table.

"Which one?"

"The only guy in there you're been talking to. His code-name is Ran. "

"Are you telling me you know his real name?"

He just takes another sip from the cup.

"Ok well tell me this, what information did he steal from you?"

"That information is classified. "

I sigh and rub my forehead.

"Ok, who hired you?"

He sighs.

"Someone above your pay grade, now can we get to work?"

"Sure."

So many questions are running through my head right now, but I know if he wanted me dead, he would have done it when I was in the fridge.

"Look, Ran is related to Kenny Jenkins, the famous drug lord you killed-"

"Four years ago, yeah I remember. How do you know they're related?"

"Well, there are records of Kenny having custody of him. But he lost them once he started the life of crime. See Ran, aka Kevin, lived with his mother until seventeen, he moved out, then disappeared. A year or so later, crime reports started going off like light bulbs in Russia, Afghanistan and Africa. The thing is, all of then had very similar MOs."