Seven

SEVEN HOURS UNTIL CLOSING

Lieutenant Carter:

"Green light! All weapons free!"

As soon as I give the order, a sniper fires. I hear glass break in the distance. I'm looking at the bank doors and hear the metal start to move, yet again.

"Where's Tanner and the others!"

"They're stuck in a firefight! Holy shi- sir your not gonna believe this but a hostage just ran free with one of the medics!"

My eyes widen.

"Get an extraction team on them now!"

Four swat units with riot shields run up and circle the two scrambling from the bank.

"Is it Tanner?"

"Negative, it's a woman and Carlos."

The steel door just sealed back up, locking him and Lennard inside. My stomach twists badly, making me feel sick with guilt. With those doors sealed, the snipers don't have a shot.

"Get a uniform on the power, lights out for them. Swat, on that bay door, we'er going in!"

If this doesn't work, chief will chew me out bad for this.

I hear boots and gear moving past the tent, moving right into gunfire without hesitation. I push the guilt deeper into my core.

As leader, I have to make tough choices.

"Sir, we're at the bay door, there's a bunch of screaming from the inside."

I fix my headset and sit down, trying to focus.

"Prepare for a breach."

"Copy that."

I tap my foot on the ground vigorously as I wait. The longer we sit here, the smaller Tanner and Lennard's chances of making it out get.

"Son of a- stop fall back! Fall back! C4 at the entrance!"

Swat units are all yelling at once.

"What's happening!"

I'm standing back up now, my heart is pounding harder than a kick drum.

"Sir, they just placed c4 on the window with hostages in the room!"

I slam my headset down, and it breaks into two.

He's playing with me!

Stressed beyond all comprehension, I pick up the two pieces and put the speaker part to my ear.

"All units, fall back, snipers, stand down. Everyone away from the bank."

I drop everything and walk out of the tent, get in my car, and just drive.

~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●
~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●~€°●

Tanner:

"B,Tsk, Boops, kill the prey!"

That's us.