Nine

TWO MONTHS AGO

Ran:

I push open the door to the the old local car repair shop and look around. There is a cheap looking vending machine in the corner that probably has stale chips and rotten honey buns in it. Chairs line up alongside both far walls. In the left corner there is an end table with out of date fashion magazines spread out on it. The lights are flickering, threatening to go out soon. To make it worse, the welcome doormat is barely readable.

So many errors here.

I walk up to the front desk, there sits the manager. He sits there typing away on the computer, whistling row row row your boat. I sit down on the opposite side of him. He looks up and smiles.

"How are you good sir?"

I nod.

"Just fine. Been at the office all day today, looking to add on to my crew. Got a big construction job coming up."

"I see I see. What can I do for you today."

"I came to pick up my baby."

He nods and smiles.

"Which one is yours, the Ford?"

I nod and he passes me the keys.

"She's back running strong, the engine took a beating, but I have the magic touch."

I laugh.

"I see that. How much do I owe you?"

"Two sixteen."

"Two dollars and sixteen cents?"

"No. Two hundred and sixteen dollars boy."

"Geez. You're killing me."

"Well that's what happens when you give me a car that hasn't ran in two years."

"With all the money you make here you'd expect a better lobby, just saying."

"To my defense, people really don't come in the lobby. They set they're appointments online."

"I see."

"What? Is it not good enough for your ways of perfection?"

"You could say that."

I hand him my debit card. He takes it and finishes the payment.

"How big is your crew?"

"Well I got one person so far. Looking for volunteers with experience."

"Really now? My daughter and I have a knack for fixing up stuff. How's the pay?"

I smile. "It'll cover your bills, for sure."

He nods and gives me my card. He also gives me his business card.

"I'll talk to my daughter and get back to you on that. This card is for any other problems you may have with your vehicle. Thanks for choosing us, have a nice day."

I gather my things and head outside. I stop and look at my car.