2 | Y O U T H

Her legs were pulled in close to her to stay warm since her trashy apartment didn't hold in enough heat when it was cold

Her legs were pulled in close to her to stay warm since her trashy apartment didn't hold in enough heat when it was cold. Instead, it was damp and in need of a renovation. But she couldn't afford anything more. She had more important things to pay attention to.

Rosa sifted through the tips she'd earned over two weeks with a frustrated sigh.

$214.00

That wasn't enough to cover her Dad's hospital bills. Not at all.

She was going to have to do a lot more than waitressing if she was going to help her dad. And there was no way she was getting hired in an office or something like that; not when she hadn't even finished her education yet.

She was only able to be a waitress because the manager thought she was cute and felt like she'd bring in more customers. She wouldn't have gotten the job without her fake ID, especially because she was serving alcohol as well.

Rosa scrolled through the ads and stopped on one particular one that stood out to her.

Escort - quick and easy way to make friends, connections and money.

She needed money. But would she really stoop so low?

Her dad wouldn't be proud.

But she had to make sure that her father got the right treatment, or else she wouldn't have any other reason to keep going.

___

Rosa hesitantly pushed the door open and stepped into the quiet room thst was flooded with bright sunlight that reflected off of the pale blue of the room. "Hi," she said quietly.

"Daisy? Is that you?"

No matter how many times she heard that - it always broke her heart to hear that name.

"No dad. Mama's gone remember." He didn't remember today. "It's Rosa."

It wasn't ever a good thing to remind a person with amnesia or dementia of sad news because then they relived the grief all over again. But Rosa couldn't help herself - she wanted her dad to know who she was. To remember her as his daughter.

"Rosa?"

"Rosalina-mae. Your daughter."

She came up beside him and held out her hand. He grabbed on with his significantly larger one and squeezed. She smiled sadly down at their hands as he brushed his thumb over her soft skin; his wedding band glinting in the sunlight.

"Rosa," he said quietly and she finally found the courage to look up at his face.

He remembered today.

She found comfort in his little smiles and soft songs. How she wished he could be home with her to sing her to sleep.

"You're tired, my girl," he said softly as he brushed his hand over her cheek and she leaned into his hand. "You're too young to be working so hard."

"I need to make sure you're okay."

"I have a tumor pressing on my brain, but i've still got it. No need to worry yourself so hard. You'll look older than me soon."

She laughed softly and then looked away from him; suddenly upset that he had brought up the brain tumor.

"What have you done this week? Other than work?" He asked, his hand petting hers as his eyes watched the side of her face.

Rosa looked out of the window at the little fountain in a garden where an elderly couple was walking through. "Um-"

"Rosalina, you need to be with friends. Get into a bit of trouble. Be young," her dad chuckled. "And then you come here, tell me what you did and I can scold you. I never have the chance to be mad at you."

She turned back to her dad and smiled. "I don't want you mad at me anyway."

"Well it's not exciting when I can't tell you off every once and a while. Do you need advice today? Any drama?"

"Dad," she laughed with a small shake of her head. "You know I don't get into that stuff."

"Well you should. Sitting here all day and seeing the same things everyday can get real damn boring."

"Dad," she laughed, patting the top of his hand. "Watch your mouth. It's always so foul."

"Foul? My mouth has very good things indeed to say."

Rosa knew he hated being there in the hospital. But she couldn't monitor him all day. It was the whole reason she worked so hard; so she could get him treatment and then back into their home.

"Soon i'll have enough money to get you treatment and we'll be able to move back home. Promise, okay?" She said, as hopeful as always.

He nodded and gave her a smile that didn't quite reach his brown eyes. "Don't worry yourself."