44 | M E M O R I E S

Noah sat the box in front of Rosa's legs and her eyes flickered up to meet his in question, her head tilted just a bit

Noah sat the box in front of Rosa's legs and her eyes flickered up to meet his in question, her head tilted just a bit. "No more gifts, Noah. I don't need them. I already have so much, I'm thankful for the things I have now."

Noah cleared his throat and shook his head. "This stuff isn't from me.." he trailed off as he took a pocket knife and he smoothly ran it over the tape that was keeping the box and all its little secrets sealed inside. "It's from your father."

Her green eyes widened and she let out an unbelieving breath. "H-how? I would have known about this."

"He had it set up to be delivered as a graduation gift, one last surprise from him. I apologize for having you receive it so late but.." I had to process the fact that I am in possession of both his and your mothers wedding rings and have the room to consider a possible marriage. "I just didn't know if you'd be okay to have them after the chaos of your graduation. I'm sure this would have been overwhelming for you."

Rosa nodded slowly and hesitantly opened up the box, smiling at the old news paper lining the top like decorative papers. She carefully lifted each piece out, her eyes flickering over the words, some which had no meaning at all and others that meant the whole world to her. "That's my dad and my mama there," she said, pointing to a picture of a couple in the newspaper. They had a small subheading, something about starting up sign language classes together as a young couple in their small town to make the deaf community feel included.

Noah took the papers and smoothed them out as she tried to pile them together, being extra careful with the thinning pieces. "I see where you get your passionate and hardworking spirit from," he commented and she looked up at him quickly, her eyes sparkling with pure joy.

"Really?" she grinned and he laughed lightly.

"Yes, darling. Really."

It was precious how she was so easily pleased.

But that didn't mean he wouldn't go above and beyond for the girl.

He watched as she took out something else from the box, wrapped up carefully in what seemed to be a piece of sheet to protect it. It was a little rocking horse, one that seemed to belong in a doll house. But it brought yet another smile onto Rosa's face. "My dad was really into wood work. It was a hobby for him, nothing more. But I remember just sitting on a stool after school in the garage when I was like... four or five and I'd just watch him carefully work away at a random piece of wood until he had something like this.."

Rosa stood up and shuffled over to the desk and Noah got up, taking the box with him and followed along, his hand tugging at the end of her sweater which had gotten tucked underneath her underwear to cover her up. He needed no distractions.

She sat it right in the center of the desk and the two watched as it rocked slowly, back and forth. "May I leave it here? I know you'll keep it safe."