Memento Mori: Jess

Chris, Sam, and I step inside the station. Chris closes the door, Sam and I look around the cable ca while Chris looks around the station. "Ugh, I thought the car was closer." Sam sighs.

"Guess we gotta wait..." Chris turns to us.

"I'm starting to get the appeal of killing time at the shooting range," I place my hands on my hips, "How long is this gonna take?"

"It's a big mountain," Chris shrugs.

"Yeah..." I nod.

Sam looks up the face of the mountain, "it's so beautiful in the day, but at night it just feels menacing, like a sleeping giant."

"You gonna publish that?" Chris jokes.

"What?"

"Your pretty poem. The Sleeping Giant of Blackwood Forest."

"Oh, shut up."

Chris and I walk into a room with a flyer taped to the wall, it is promoting Blackwood Pine's Hotel and Sanatorium. "What a crazy place to set up house. No matter how rich you are." I shake my head.

"They're not so rich," Sam chuckles as she walks in, "They only bought a mountain."

"Huh?" We hear Chris and look over to see he found a small monitor with constant static interrupting the video.

"What is that?" I step over to Chris.

"I don't know." He shrugs, "it's busted so who cares." Chris steps out and the room and Sam and I follow just in time as the cable car had just arrived.

"Finally," Sam sighs, "You guys coming?"

"Well, I was gonna stay here and catch some Zs, but... okay." Chris steps into the car with Sam.

"What about you, Elena? Coming or are you too scared to see Josh again?"

I shake my head and step into the car, "I'm coming."

Once we are all in the car we sit, Chris chuckles and looks between Sam and I, "just like going to prom."

Sam and I chuckle as the car starts to move, "Here we go."

"Right, adventure begins."

"Oh, I really hope this was the right thing to do..." I sigh.

"What?" Chris and Sam look over to me.

"Ya know, getting everyone together on the anniversary. I mean Josh seemed really pumped about us all doing something, didn't he?"

"Yeah, no, he definitely did! I haven't seen him so excited about something in... forever."

"Good, good. It's hard to tell with him." Sam nods, "and we've been kinda worried."

"No, no, it was... It was a good idea."

"I hope everyone else feels the same way."

"We're all here, aren't we."

Sam jokingly punches Chris' arm, "Thanks, bro! Good talk."

"Ya know what... let's just... let's just stop talking about what happened and enjoy the trip."

I take a deep breath, "ya know what? You're right."

"You two know who Josh and I met?"

"No...?"

"Okay, third grade. Josh sat in the back of the room, I sat in the front, we didn't even know each other existed. But, the kid sitting next to Josh started strap snapping the training bra on the girl in front of him, so the teacher made him move to the front, where I was sitting. So I got moved to the back! And next to Josh! That's how we met! And became friends to this day. If it weren't for the fact that Jeanie Simmonds hit puberty like, three years early and on that day decided to wear a low-cut shirt that showed off her training bra. I mean who knows? You could be riding in this cable car alone. Right now, or talking to some other person entirely. Boom, Butterfly Effect."

When we get to the top we try to open the door but can't. Sam looks out the window and sees Jess, "Jessica! Over here!"

"Uh, are you guys having a really weird stroke?" I hear Jessica outside the car

Chris steps over to it, "we're stuck in this stupid thing."

"Can you please let us out? Pretty please?" I look over Chris' shoulder.

Jessica sighs and opens the door. When she does we step out, "Oh. My. God. I thought we were goners, another ten minutes in there and I would've chewed off my own leg." Chris jokes.

"Aw, sick, Chris," i shake my head.

"Look, I got a lot of meat on my bones. This is all muscle down here."

"Compared to what that is everywhere else?" I chuckle.

Chris swiftly swipes Jess's letter from her hand. "Bwip!"

"Hey!" Jess shouts.

"Chris," I step forward.

"My goodness. Seems like someone has a lil' crush on our good friend and dear class president Michael Munroe."

"Chris..." I sigh.

Chris cuts me off, "and what kind of sizzling erotica might our Jessica be capable of imagining?" Chris gestures to Jess with his hand, "I wonder...?"

Jess starts with the normal Jess attitude, "Mike and Em split. We're together."

"Woah, drama." Chris puts his hands up.

"Not really. Pretty clear cut, actually. Em's out. I'm in."

"Alright, alright, let's just get up to the lodge already. Getting tired of all this nature and junk."

"Uh, you guys go on ahead. I'm just gonna wait here for a bit. See who else is coming."

"You mean Mike?" Chris teases Jess.

"What? Uh, I mean, you know, whoever."

Sam and I step away, "did you see this view? I mean, holy cow." Sam looks over to me, "Sometimes I forget to just, stop and take it all in."