Chapter Thirty Five

Chapter Thirty Five

= MEG's POV =

Ellison's talking to Louis. I'm actually more convinced now something's going on. I turn my attention back to Doris when I met Louis' gaze. She's struggling in my arms so I stand up and walk over to the only person I've actually talked to. Besides Louis and Ellison, of course. Irene.

I hesitate for a moment, thinking I've only met Irene and I don't want her to think that I already feel like we're best friends. The way she reacted when I approached her eased my hesitation. She immediately smiles at me and asked me if I'm enjoying myself.

"Actually," I start. "I want to ask you, if you don't mind, how long have Ellison and Louis been friends?" I ask her. She turns around and sees the same thing I'm seeing. Ellison looks pissed and Louis tries to say something but is always cut off.

"Hmm, a few years ago, I think. Something happened between them but I shouldn't say anything. It's their business, not mine.." She says, the feeling of disappointment I feel is there. "Look, I like you, Meg. I don't know if Louis told you I'm a chatter box and a major gossiper but I know my boundaries. You should just wait until he starts it and when he gets caught up in the moment, he'll eventually spill. No secret stays secret for long."

It felt like it hit me more than I expected. Not only because Louis' hiding something from me but also I'm hiding something from him. Only, I've done it longer and only feel the guilt coming back now. I sound and feel like a total hypocrite. Karma does its job well and I just got slapped in the face. Hard.

Anxiety was my biggest weakness and it probably still is. I avoided anxiety for a while now but it doesn't mean it's gone. And I can feel it coming back. For all I know, I might have anxiety disorder. My chest, little by little, pounded furiously like my heart was going to rip itself out of my chest.

I turn around and went to the bathroom. I can not break out here. Not infront of Louis' family, I can't. I leaned on the wall and recited a mantra in my head. More like a scold, telling me to control myself before I lose it. I stumbled when the bathroom door opened.

"Meg? Are you okay?"

That's Ellison's voice. I felt her grasp my arms and push me onto the sink. I shake my head, snapping myself out of my own negative thoughts. When I look up at her, she looks worried. It was seemingly noticeable in her eyes.

I have a downing feeling that she knows everything. She knows what Irene was talking about so why not just ask her.

"What... What happened between the two of you?" I ask her.

= ELLISON'S POV =

I was taken back when Meg asked me that. How can I explain to her that I was the one who broke Louis' heart a few years ago?

I'm sure Louis has said something and I'm also sure he didn't tell her it was me he was referring to.

"It's not my place to tell you that." I say, feeling completely defenseless. She's going to call me out. Meg's smart, she's going to figure that out.

"Not your place? If you were involved, you have as much place as he does to tell me." She says, her voice sounding pained but at the same time afraid.

Meg's my friend and I feel horrible for lying to her. I didn't want things to lead this way or get in between them somehow. I don't like lying. It's not something I'm used to especially after what I've done to Louis, I tried to avoid it as much as I can. The feeling of guilt is coming back to me. Well, past is past but you can't exactly run away from it.

All of the sudden Meg looks at me as if she just realized something. "Oh my god, I think I understand now." She wraps her arms around herself. She looks afraid and bewildered. I take a step towards her but she grabbed both of my arms and I swear the tears she was holding back just kept pouring.