Twelve+

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song------------}

Twelve+

I watch in a trance as raindrops slide down the glass of the music room. The house is quiet and mostly dark as I sit on the window seat cushioned with rich black crushed velvet against the bare skin of my short clad legs. As the rain trails down the glass my hands follow their trail, enjoying the smooth coldness of the glass.

“Shoshanna?”

I turn towards the sound of my name to find Jane standing at the entrance of the Music room’s doors. She’s in a pair of yellow ducky sleep pants and a black t-shirt that reads ‘KISS ME I’M SHITFACED’ making me lips twitch up a bit. Her short pixie brown hair is a mess on the top of her head but she looks beautiful all the same.

“Hello, Jane. What can I help you with?”

Jane frowns a bit, “Nothing actually. I was just grabbing a glass of water when I saw you in here. Are you alright?”

“I’m fine.” I lie with a small smile, “you should probably go back up to bed. Tyler will go crazy is he sees you missing.”

Jane rolls her eyes with a smile before walking towards me. She has a small glass of water in her hand as she sits across from me on the window seat. Her blue painted nails drum on the glass in her hand as she too peers out the window.

“You know I used to have these nasty nightmares after I got bitten.” Jane says turning towards me, “I mean they were some crazy shit. Blood, screaming, death everywhere and I would wake up sweating and freaked out. I didn’t know what was happening to me and I often suffered alone. No one knew about them but me for the longest time.”

“That doesn’t sound like a good way to live.” I comment.

Jane snorts, “It wasn’t. I was afraid to go to sleep and often I would have to shove sleeping pills in my mouth to even consider it. It was messed up.”

“I can imagine.”

“Can you?” Jane asks with a raised brow, “Because you seem like the perceptive type and yet your not latching to the olive branch I’m extending.”

I laugh a little, “I knew you were going to be a feisty one. Tyler needs that.”

“Don’t change the subject.” She scolds but smiles a bit at the mention of Tyler.

“Do you love him?”

Jane rolls her eyes, “Duh. What’s not to love? He’s funny, he’s kind, he’s handsome and he makes me feel…wanted. Do you love your Dracula?”

It’ my turn to smile a bit, “Yes.”

“How’d you meet?”

“I asked him to kill me.”

Jane’s dark green eyes widen and her mouth falls open, “Seriously?”

“Yes.”

“W-Why?”

I shrug and turn to look back out the window, “I was unhappy. I hated me, I hated the world, and I simply hated living. I had heard about these killings on the news and I since I had made a promise to my parents that I wouldn’t kill myself I decided to find someone who would. I didn’t know what he was but when I found him fang deep in a girl with a club dress on I knew he would give me what I needed.”