Nineteen+

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song---------}

Nineteen+

I come into consciousness at to the sound of purring and the vibrations of it on my chest. My thoughts are a bit fuzzy but I know that it’s Florence on my chest making me relax back into softness below me. I note, distantly that there’s a crackling that sounds like a fireplace nearby but its not close enough to cause me discomfort, just enough to make the room smell fantastic.

My body is really sore as I roll to my side a bit before huffing back into relaxation. I hear Florence huff a bit before settling over my head on what I assume to be the pillow my head is on. Focusing on her purrs I begin to fall back sleep. That is until a tingling touch, as light as a feather, skims its way across my cheek. I moan a bit but don’t make any moves to open my eyes. I’m so damn tired it just isn’t an option right now.

Soon the feather moves from my cheek to move its addictive little touches down my neck, shoulder and finally trickling down the bare skin of my arm making me shiver against the sensation. Slowly I pry my eyelids open but everything is still a bit blurry so I blink hard a few times before I take in the sight of a chin and a crookedly smiling mouth in my vision. Moving my gaze up I feel warmth move through my bones as I meet a pair of very familiar crimson red eyes with a soft expression in them.

“Good night, Wallflower.”

At the sound of his voice I burst into tears. Edgar’s expression changes into a pained one before he grabs me up in his arms. His arms holding me snuggly to him as his hands rub my back while I stain his dark gray t-shirt with my bloody tears. His lips are at my ears as he makes cooing noises to calm me but they’re no use. The stress, uncertainty and fear over the past months have been held up with a dam that has just broken.

I simply can’t stop it all from spilling out of me.

Amour, please. Don’t cry. You’re safe now.”

“Please tell me this isn’t a dream.” I mumble into his neck, taking in his scent like its more essential to me than air. “Tell me this isn’t a cruel trick.”

He pulls back to wipe my tears with his thumbs as he gazes down at me with concern radiating from every pour. “This isn’t a dream. This is real and I’m really with you.”

“So…” I ask, with a few hitching breathes, “That all happened. Gryphon is…”

“Currently awaiting his just rewards.” Edgar finishes with a tight voice. “He will never come near you again, Shoshanna. No one will ever take you from me again.”

“Why are you waiting?”

Edgar caresses my chin with his thumb, his eyes following the movement. “I wanted to be here when you woke up and as is custom an execution must be done with a witness to see it, usually one wronged by the condemned.”

“An eye for an eye sort of thing?”

“Exactly like that.”

Lifting my hand I hesitantly reach out to caress his face, slightly surprised to feel real live flesh under my hands. Despite his words I still thought he’d be just some last tormenting dream for me before I faced the misery of being Gryphon’s little lap dog for the rest of my eternity. My mind relaxes at the realization that Edgar is telling the truth and all of this isn’t just a grand delusion.

Because lets face the fact that, that would really be a kick to the balls.

Noticing the stiffness in my body I ask, “How long have I been asleep?”