Ch.8 The Truth

******

When I wake up after falling asleep, I hear Marie and Sage whisper arguing with each other.

"You really should go home, take a shower, eat a proper meal, change, take care of yourself. I'll stay here with Eden, she's okay." Marie says.

"But I don't want anything bad to happen to her. I can't let that happen, again."

"She's going to be okay. What happened with Valerie was a freak accident."

"Marie, what are you talking about? You know as well as me that it was a attack on us at the warehouse! You know it's my fault that she was there! It's my fault that they shot her because I left to make a delivery. They were targeting me. But they knew I loved her, so they shot her." He says. Who's Valerie? He loved her? Does he still love her?

"Sage, I know. And I'm sorry. The last time I talked to her she said that she could walk and she was doing great. I really don't think she still hates you. You should talk to her."

"I will. Okay I'll go home but I'll be back in an hour. I'm going to get some guys over here to watch the place, just to make sure."

"If that will make you comfortable enough to go home and take a shower, then fine. But not too many. I don't think it's necessary. Also, dad's not going to be happy about it." I pretend like I'm asleep because I don't think I was suppose to hear that conversation. What men? What were they talking about? I feel Sage slowly get up from the bed careful to not wake me. Little does he know I'm already awake. He kisses my forehead and leaves. I wait a few minutes before I 'wake up'.

"Good morning Eden."

"Morning Marie. Where's Sage?" I ask playing dumb.

"He went home to shower. He didn't want to leave though." I know, I think to myself. The doctor comes in a little while after I wake up and does all the check up things.

"And how are you feeling today?" He asks.

"I'm feeling better, no more headache, still a little pain from the cuts."

"Alright, and your friend, Marie, said that you remember what happened, so you don't have amnesia."

"Correct."

"There will be a cop here later to ask you what happened, those injuries looked like they were caused by some kind of blade, therefore inflicted by a person, so they will be questioning you."

"Okay." I say but it comes out as a whisper. Do I tell them the truth? The doctor leaves and Marie turns on the little tv that's in the room.

Do I tell the truth? What lie do I use? I can't say my cat did it. I was walking and someone jumped me and did it? Someone jumped out from an alleyway and tried to kidnap me? Ugh.

"Hey, Eden, does your dad know that your here?" Marie says, interrupting my thinking.

"Yeah. He's out of state for work. He knows." I say hoping that it sounds believable.

"Oh that sucks. Well I guess I'm glad that we're here, so your not alone." she says.

"Yeah, me too." I really am glad that she's here. I'm also glad that Sage was here and that he'll be back soon. Me and Marie sit and watch tv for about a half-hour before Sage comes back in.

"Hey, I brought donuts." He says walking over to me. I smile at him and scooch over on the bed to make room for him to sit.

"No, E, I don't want to crowd you, I can sit in the chair." He says shaking his head.