Ch.13 What Are We?

******

"It's going to be okay. We will go in and get your things and get out." Sage says as we walk up to the house.

"What if he tries to hurt you?" I ask.

"Don't worry about me." He says. I go to open the door and find it unlocked. I open the door and step in.

My father practically runs out of the kitchen to me. He raises his hand to hit me.

"You bi-" He stops when he sees Sage.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." Sage says and stands in front of me. His body is tensed and his hands are balled up.

"Sage, it's fine. Let's just go get my things." I say quietly. I hear my dad chuckle.

"I don't believe we've met. I'm Eden's dad, Robert." My 'dad' says changing his tone and body language completely. Sage towers over my dad a few inches. Sage ignores his hand. My dad chuckles at Sage.

"So, you got yourself a little protector did you Eden." He says with venom dripping from his voice.

"Go upstairs Eden, I'll be fine. I'm certainly not scared of him." Sage says.

"I could crush you little boy." Robert says.

"I doubt that." Sage says. I do too.

He says he's trained, I don't know in what or how, but if he's in a gang I think he could definitely beat my abusive father.

"Go get your stuff, Eden." Sage says.

"I'm not leaving you here with him." I say.

At that he takes my hand and I lead him upstairs. We get to my room and I close my door. I go into my closet and grab a duffle bag. I start throwing clothes in. I grab the pictures of me and my mom that I keep hidden.

"I like your room." Sage says while walking around and looking at my room.

"Thanks." I say still grabbing clothes off their hangers and out of their drawers.

"Sorry you have to leave it, and your home." He says.

"I haven't had a home since he started hurting me." I say.

He doesn't respond but instead sits on my bed while I run around my room grabbing things. I don't want to have to come back here so I'm just grabbing as much as I can fit in this bag.

I sit down next to Sage.

"He's not going to let me leave." I say.

"Yes, he is. I will leave this house with you. No matter what I have to do." I lean into him and rest my head on his shoulder.

"Thank you, so much. I don't know why you like me but, thank you." I say. He takes my face in his hands.

"I like you because you make me smile, you helped me out of a dark place I was going to. I like you because your beautiful in every way." He says looking deeply into my eyes. I lean my forehead against his and we sit there for a bit, until I hear my father coming up the stairs.

I jump up from the bed and Sage moves in front of me as my father opens my door.

"You're packing bags?" He asks. I nod my head. "Staying with pretty boy? Huh, slut? You sleeping around?" He asks. I see Sage tense up and he balls his hands up. I watch as his jaw clenches.

"Don't call her that." He says.

"What're you gonna do? Huh, little boy?" Robert says.

Oh no is all I can think when Sage throws a punch that sends my fathers face flying to the side. I can already see a bruise forming.