Ch.30 Funeral

******

When we got back to the house after being at the Samuels all day I brushed my teeth and got into pajamas and was surprisingly out like a light. I thought I wouldn't be able to sleep again but I think going there helped me a little.

I sleep nicely and I don't wear a sweater to bed tonight, not wanting to be in flames, again.

When I wake up in the morning I look at my phone and see that it's only 7. What kind of teenager am I? It takes me a little to wake up and once I am I notice that Sage isn't next to me.

Where is he?

He never gets up this early and he sleeps like a log. I look towards the bathroom but the doors open and he's not in there. I'm about to get out of bed and look for him when he comes walking in, in only his fleece pants, and hands me a coffee. I don't usually drink coffee, but Marie got me addicted a few weeks ago.

I give him a small smile.

"Thank you." I say and he gets back into bed next to me. "What are you doing up this early?" I turn my head towards him and he cups his hand around my cheek.

"Nothing that you have to worry about. Everything's fine." He says giving my lips aa quick peck. I see the sadness that fills his eyes though.

"Sage," I say putting the coffee down. "What's going on." I look deep into his beautiful grey eyes.

"Eden, I don't want you to worry. I'm fine." He says. But I see the truth in his eyes.

"Something's wrong." I say. "What is it? Please." I say. He sighs.

"It's nothing really. My mom is just fighting with Charles. It's really bad. They even mentioned divorce." He says. My mouth drops open. Whenever I saw them together they looked so happy, so in love.

"What about?" I ask. He takes a second.

"My mom doesn't like the whole gang thing. She never has. She thought she could make it work but ever since Carson got kidnapped their marriage hasn't been the same. She wants to get us out of it. Me especially." He says playing with my fingers.

"Do you want out?" I ask. He looks back at me, almost confused by the question. "Have you never been asked that before?" He shakes his head.

"No, it was always just 'when I retire you have to take over the gang, being the oldest male in the family.' I never wanted this life. I got used to it and I've come to terms with it but now that I have the option out, I think I want to take that chance and run. It's too dangerous."

"It's way too dangerous." I say. "But are they going to let you leave? I mean you guys know so much about everything." I say. He nods in agreement.

"We do know too much. I'm going to talk to him, tell him that if any of us say anything to any other gang about weaknesses or shipments that he can kill us. Or take us and hold us hostage." He shrugs.

"Wait, am I included in this?" I ask.

"I mean, yeah. A little. You know some things. But I am not leaving you there in that gang. They're like my family but they can turn on you in a second." He pulls me onto his lap so I'm straddling him. "I won't leave you. I'm getting you out too." He says. My eyes wander over his face, his freckles, his eyes.

"What about Marie?" I ask. He shrugs.

"She's my sister, basically, but I can't do anything. Her father isn't going to let her leave the gang. I'll stay in touch with her but I can't do anything for her." He says sadly. I drop my head down.

"I'm just excited because I'll be able to live a normal life." He says with a new light in his eyes.

"Where are you going to live?" I ask.