He's After Us

A/N: As of tomorrow, the day after I hit the publish button for this chapter, I will no longer the unlucky number but one year older! Happy birthday to me~

(Update a couple days later: I can't believe I forgot that my birthday is also the House Pride Day of Slytherin, my house! That makes it twice as awesome!)

And because I'm in such a generous mood, I made this chapter the longest one yet in the story with a word count of 2,216 words in total, which may seems short to y'all but feels like a lot to me. (I don't think I've ever surpassed 2,000 words before.)

Anyway, enjoy~!

- Turtle's POV -

"Pass the salt, please?" I asked at the restaurant table.

Kinkajou attempted to pick Winter up and throw him at me, but a sleepy Qibli muttered, "No," and gripped Winter's arm, AKA his pillow.

Moon passed me the actual salt, which I dumped on my croissant.

"Isn't that too much, Turtle?" she asked when a small mountain of tiny white grains formed on the buttery bread.

"Um ..." I snapped back to being completely awake, blushing at the sight of my super salty croissant. "I― need something super sharp-tasting to wake me up."

"Oh, okay."

"So," I turned to Kinkajou. "What are we doing today?"

Her face lit up instantly. "Right! Uh ... we're going to be scuba-diving in the morning, and then we'll grab some lunch and just chillax."

"That's cool."

An awkward silence filled the air for the next two minutes. I sank my teeth into my salt-piled croissant. It was hard to keep a straight face while eating something so strong tasting it made tears sting at the corners of my eyelashes, but I persisted to shove the entire piece of bread down my throat―I wasn't about to let a stupid food overcome me.

"To cut the awkward silence," said Kinkajou. "Anyone have detention stories to tell?"

"Qibli does," replied a smirking Winter. He nudged his boyfriend, who was still slumped across the table. 

"How about no?" Qibli muttered, voice groggy from lack of sleep. "I'm still tired."

"It's your fault you chose to stay up all night singing Vocaloid songs," said Moon before she gave him a sympathetic smile. "Your voice is nice, though."

"Thanks."

"However," Moon continued. "The fact that we could hear you across the hotel's thick walls really says something."

"Oh, crap," said Qibli. "That explains why that angry old dude knocked on our door at Five AM and began loudly ranting. He was talking super fast in Spanish, but I think I could pick up some cuss words."

"Um," Kinkajou cut in. "Sorry to interrupt your little conversation, but I was really looking forward to hearing that detention story."

"Oh yeah," I said. "I want to hear that too. Maybe I could get a little inspiration for my writing this way."

"You're going to base an event off of me?" Qibli groaned and rolled his eyes. "Is it the official Make-Fun-of Qibli-Day or what?"

"Well, aren't you a little ray of sunshine," Kinkajou replied.

"Sor-ry," grumbled Qibli. "It's just that not only did I not get enough sleep, but I realized that historically speaking, Eliza was pregnant with another child when Hamilton was seeing Maria Reynolds. Which really pissed me off, adding onto the fact that now there's a harem of, like, four people. If Laurens was still alive, that is. Oh, crap. Laurens. Then Phillip. Whyyy."